Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Has MSNBC been covering the tar sands protests?
08-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Has MSNBC been covering the tar sands protests?
Maddow and Sharpton are the only MSNBC hosts I watch, and I don't catch them every day. I haven't seen them cover the White House tar sands pipeline protests yet, but I could have missed it. Has anyone seen something I missed?

I was just wondering if they had covered it when they ran a commercial from an oil company in support of the pipeline. A cynic might think that the constant commercials from the fossil fuel industry are influencing their coverage of energy issues.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
08-23-2011, 07:31 PM
RE: Has MSNBC been covering the tar sands protests?
As far as I know, the only time the words "tar sands" are uttered are in the commercials.

Silence is consent.
Find all posts by this user
08-23-2011, 11:17 PM
I was hoping these freak Earthquakes would be a reminder that anything can freakin' happen and it's not smart to tempt Mother Nature.

"Democracy Is Not A Spectator Sport. The Future Is Ours If We Actively Participate In Shaping It" Flag
John Harder~http://zerowastekauai.org/index.html
08-24-2011, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2011 04:33 PM by Willinois.)
I just left sent this email to Rachel Maddow's show and posted a similar comment on her blog...

First, yours and Al Sharpton's shows are the only cable news programs I watch anymore (other than Stewart and Colbert). Thanks for all of the excellent work you do!

I thought maybe I had missed your coverage of the mass civil disobedience happening at the White House over the keystone tar sands pipeline. But when I searched your MSNBC site I got "no results found."

A cynic might think that MSNBC's inadequate coverage of this major story has something to do with all the ads oil companies are running on the network. Why is it that the only thing I hear about the issue on MSNBC is when a company runs ads in favor of the pipeline?

This protest is a historic moment for the environmental movement. I'm sure MSNBC has someone sitting around in the White House press room who can step outside to interview Bill McKibben and other protesters. I can assure you that young people and environmentalists see this as one of the top stories of the week even if MSNBC news execs don't. If even you won't cover this issue on your show then who will?

I wonder what impact Martin Luther King Jr. could have had if the major networks of his day ignored civil disobedience like cable news channels do today?
08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Ok, credit where it's due. Bill McKibben is on the Lawrence O'Donnell show talking about the pipeline tonight. The guest host (Chris Hayes?) did a good interview.
08-25-2011, 10:12 PM
I thought of your post when I saw Bill on Lawrence's show tonight. I'm glad they explained why it was so potentially bad for the environment - I bet not 5% of the population understands this issue.

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous