Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Why We Need President Obama -- A Critical Moment
07-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Preface from The Only Adult in the Room (whose link to the article i followed) :

http://blackwaterdog.wordpress.com/2011/...his-is-it/

Hi guys,

Usually, I will not give Huff-Crap any click to save my life, but this piece by Deepak Chopra is a must read. Not for us – we know all that – but for anyone in our close circle who simply can’t understand how grave and deep and scary is the possibility of the lunatics taking over – and that standing by Presidentt Obama is the ONLY option ....

By Deepak Chopra
July 16, 2011

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-cho...b=facebook

-snip-

Which is to say that all of us who have taken advantage of our liberal heritage to question and criticize President Obama need to step back and consider the radical nature of the opposition, from the Supreme Court down to the local precinct. The current debt ceiling crisis is proof that sensible, sane responses are not going to be automatic anymore. Paul Krugman calls the current Republican tactic outright extortion. The leaders of the Republican Party are so terrified of losing their seats in Congress that they have collapsed in the face of the ultra right and its worst ideologues.

-snip-

If ever there was a time to stand behind the captain, this is it. Not because pluralism and free expression are wrong. They aren’t and never will be. But like Churchill calling upon a coalition cabinet in the depth of the war years, it’s paramount that we see the greater danger for what it is. Attention was drawn to the cover of a recent issue of the Economist, which showed a tall President Obama towering over a squabbling handful of pygmy Republican rivals for the presidency. The headline read, “He Could Still Lose.” We need to remember that if that were to happen, it wouldn’t be because President Obama made too many mistakes or failed to pass a sufficiently liberal agenda. The reason would be that all of us forgot the 30-year reign of reactionary administrations (minus the Clinton years) and the power of debased politics to keep coming back, again and again.

###

[Image: signature.php?uid=16]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
07-17-2011, 11:39 PM
RE: Why We Need President Obama -- A Critical Moment
That was an outstanding article.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke
07-17-2011, 11:54 PM
(07-17-2011 11:39 PM)jaxx Wrote:  That was an outstanding article.

isn't it? it's not as if we haven't been trying all this time to say the same as Chopra is saying in this piece, but it is vitally important that the PL, itself, starts saying it.

i had to keep cutting to make it fit the rules, because i wanted to post it ALL!

thank you, jaxx!
Wave

07-18-2011, 02:19 AM
This is a good article. How I wish the PL would take it to heart.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does. ~Margaret Mead~
07-18-2011, 03:08 AM
(07-18-2011 02:19 AM)Hekate Wrote:  This is a good article. How I wish the PL would take it to heart.

it really is.
i wish so, too, Hekate.

thank you!

07-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Seems like these past few weeks of debt ceiling crisis have done the opposite of what Republicans would have wished.

In many circles, it has been a time of recognizing how much Obama looks like the only adult in the room. The many disparate parts of the Democratic Party seem to be coming together behind him.

The Professional Left won't, but then they all sound like whiny teenagers, so who would expect them to?
07-21-2011, 04:44 AM
(07-18-2011 09:56 AM)suzie Wrote:  Seems like these past few weeks of debt ceiling crisis have done the opposite of what Republicans would have wished.

In many circles, it has been a time of recognizing how much Obama looks like the only adult in the room. The many disparate parts of the Democratic Party seem to be coming together behind him.

The Professional Left won't, but then they all sound like whiny teenagers, so who would expect them to?

yes, yes, yes!
very important points, suzie!!

thank you!

07-18-2011, 12:33 PM
I saw that over there, nofurylike..thanks for linking it here!

Gave me a very warm feeling for Deepak. Love Ya

"Democracy Is Not A Spectator Sport. The Future Is Ours If We Actively Participate In Shaping It" Flag
John Harder~http://zerowastekauai.org/index.html
07-21-2011, 04:50 AM
(07-18-2011 12:33 PM)Cha Wrote:  I saw that over there, nofurylike..thanks for linking it here!

an honor to do so, indeed!

Cha Wrote:Gave me a very warm feeling for Deepak. Love Ya

me too, Cha!!
someone with the COURAGE to admit he was wrong. rare and moving.

thank you!! Hug Love Ya