Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Rite of Torture for Girls (not for the faint of heart)
05-12-2011, 02:24 PM
A Rite of Torture for Girls (not for the faint of heart)

It’s female genital mutilation — sometimes called female circumcision — and it is prevalent across a broad swath of Africa and chunks of Asia as well. Mothers take their daughters at about age 10 to cutters like Maryan Hirsi Ibrahim, a middle-aged Somali woman who says she wields her razor blade on up to a dozen girls a day.

“This tradition is for keeping our girls chaste, for lowering the sex drive of our daughters,” Ms. Ibrahim told me. “This is our culture.”

Ms. Ibrahim prefers the most extreme form of genital mutilation, called infibulation or Pharaonic circumcision.

The girls’ genitals are carved out, including the clitoris and labia, often with no anesthetic. What’s left of the flesh is sewn together with three to six stitches — wild thorns in rural areas, or needle and thread in the cities. The cutter leaves a tiny opening to permit urination and menstruation. Then the girls’ legs are tied together, and she is kept immobile for 10 days until the flesh fuses together.

When the girl is married and ready for sex, she must be cut open by her husband or by a respected woman in the community.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/opinio...ml?_r=1&hp

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Sy8Wkw8RrZ-PS8QwfNa...lWPNPpUA2w]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
05-12-2011, 02:47 PM
RE: A Rite of Torture for Girls (not for the faint of heart)
I can't click on the link. What you posted was already as much as I can handle. But thanks for sharing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I am horrified that women often perform this mutilation. This business is one of the big WTFs in our world. This and "honor killing". Sick motherfuckers.

Julie

To prepare for when your life flashes before your eyes, make sure it's fun to watch.

Runningamok
05-12-2011, 08:09 PM
How awful. This is one of the few crimes worthy of a death sentence IMO.

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't understand the worldwide hatred of the female half of the population.
From aborting female fetuses, bride burning, genital mutilation, and so many other mistreatments of females, it's obvious the efforts to keep women down have no bounds.
What is so frightening about empowered women?

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
05-13-2011, 06:25 PM
(05-13-2011 05:43 PM)azmouse Wrote:  What is so frightening about empowered women?

You have the power to nurture life in a way men do not, which makes you like gods. This makes you a threat to roughly half the population.

And I'm not actually kidding.

Read When God was a Woman sometime.

“The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.” -- Dorothy Parker
05-14-2011, 09:13 AM
(05-13-2011 06:25 PM)RoyGBiv Wrote:  
(05-13-2011 05:43 PM)azmouse Wrote:  What is so frightening about empowered women?

You have the power to nurture life in a way men do not, which makes you like gods. This makes you a threat to roughly half the population.

And I'm not actually kidding.

Read When God was a Woman sometime.

Thanks for the book rec. I looked that up and it sounds fascinating so I ordered a copy. Can't wait.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
05-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Horrible
What is wrong with girls having a sex drive?

So weird. Who are the men going to have sex with, then?

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama

Is féidir linn.
05-14-2011, 10:03 AM
RE: Horrible
(05-14-2011 09:37 AM)Treestar Wrote:  What is wrong with girls having a sex drive?

So weird. Who are the men going to have sex with, then?

I suspect part of the problem is that men feel insecure about children. When you think about it, a woman always knows a child is her's but the man has to take the woman's word for it that he is the father. By denying a woman a sex drive it helps to ensure she is not interested in men or sex, and the husband can feel secure about any child she carries being his.
Just a thought....