Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
www.missingmoney.com Scam?
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
www.missingmoney.com Scam?
My niece saw my late mother's name listed as having unclaimed money. They are asking for my information ( as heir and executor) so the state can supposedly contact me with details.

Anyone know anything about the site?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Sy8Wkw8RrZ-PS8QwfNa...lWPNPpUA2w]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
www.missingmoney.com Scam? #1 - Still a Democrat - 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
RE: www.missingmoney.com Scam? #3 - Dagnabit - 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM
RE: www.missingmoney.com Scam? #6 - Sugarloaf - 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Now this is interesting.. #5 - Dimwitted Fool - 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
RE: www.missingmoney.com Scam? #7 - Julie - 03-25-2011, 06:57 AM
RE: www.missingmoney.com Scam? #8 - ringa - 05-14-2014, 08:38 PM
RE: www.missingmoney.com Scam? #9 - canetoad - 05-14-2014, 09:30 PM
[*]
03-24-2011, 12:33 PM
RE: www.missingmoney.com Scam?
(03-24-2011 12:22 PM)Still a Democrat Wrote:  My niece saw my late mother's name listed as having unclaimed money. They are asking for my information ( as heir and executor) so the state can supposedly contact me with details.

Well, I don't know anything about that one, but IL has a site like that called Cash Dash where you can reclaim lost money. However, it is at the il.gov domain, not just a .com. My mom got a 100 bucks from there last year.
03-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I am not one hundred percent sure its the same site i used years ago but it seems like it is , Anyway i found the same thing for me in a state i used to live in and when i contacted the state they confirmed it. Now the state wanted me to jump through some extreme hoops to collect that cash but it was legit.
03-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Contact your state treasurer's office. That's who usually handles the legitimate unclaimed money programs.
03-24-2011, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2011 02:07 PM by Sugarloaf.)
(03-24-2011 01:17 PM)Peadar O Suileabhain Wrote:  Contact your state treasurer's office. That's who usually handles the legitimate unclaimed money programs.

Yes. This would be the way to go about it. Since you say that the unclaimed money is from NJ, check w/their State Treasurer's Office. Unclaimed money is a common thing in any state, so you may very well have some. It's worth a try.

However, I think you are right to be wary of a non-govermental entity giving you this info. I'd circumvent them altogethor and just check w/the NJ Treasurer's office. The worse thing that could happen is that they find none.

Good Luck. I hope you do have some money owed to you! Wave

On edit: Whoops. It looks as though I may be confusing your post w/DF's just above this one... Anyway, in whatever state you may be talking about, I'd still go ahead and check w/their treasurer's office.
03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Now this is interesting..
I put my name in there and it said New Jersey has money for me, but amounts and where it came from was undisclosed.

So, I went to the New Jersey missing money site and a search came up blank-- Joisey has no money for me.

Since I can't imagine why Joisey would be holding any money for me, I suspect there's an old bill lying around and someone might be trying to find me.

Beware.
03-25-2011, 06:57 AM
I went to site and they link to state treasuries and such so I doubt it's a scam. Just follow link to state sites and go from there.

Julie

To prepare for when your life flashes before your eyes, make sure it's fun to watch.

Runningamok
05-14-2014, 08:38 PM
(03-24-2011 12:22 PM)Still a Democrat Wrote:  My niece saw my late mother's name listed as having unclaimed money. They are asking for my information ( as heir and executor) so the state can supposedly contact me with details.

I don't know about that site.To find the site legit or not,
05-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Ringa, you should be arrested for necrophilia, this thread has been dead for so long Smile

But I'll still add my two cents worth; received mail a year or so back that I had around $40 in unclaimed funds somewhere, just send proof of identity.

So I started collecting and copying the relevant documentation, put it in an envelope and it hit me; for $40 I was about to post off enough personal information for a perfect identity theft. Never did find out if it was legit or not.