Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
That Was Close! 3 Things to Know About Atlanta’s Wild Mayoral Race
12-07-2017, 07:51 AM
That Was Close! 3 Things to Know About Atlanta’s Wild Mayoral Race
https://www.theroot.com/that-was-close-3...1821048553

From the article:
Quote:The next four years of leadership for Atlanta, one of the fastest-growing, wealthiest and culturally important cities in America, will likely stay in the hands of an African American, thanks to a nail-biting election Tuesday night. The race between Councilwomen Keisha Lance Bottoms and Mary Norwood was tighter than a pair of skinny jeans at Atlantic Station.

With over 90,000 votes cast, Bottoms appears to be the winner by just 759 votes. However, that’s not even the biggest surprise from a race that suddenly jumped into national attention over the last few weeks. Here are three fast facts you need to know about what happened in Atlanta last night.

The list:
1. Race rules everything around me.
2. History repeats itself, sort of.
3. The future is not clear.

Race matters here, like the rest of the US, and the white majority is still not happy about having to share. Most of the voting districts voted by race, but the endorsements were not. I'd guess that some endorsements for Norwood were not because they thought she was a better choice, but a snub to out-going mayor Kasim Reed, who was not one of your more-likable individuals.

Norwood may lose by another razor-thin margin, like she did last time. Considering the vote difference, most municipalities would call for an automatic recount. Both candidates are waiting for the results.

I was not thrilled with either candidate, but I don't live in the city, so I had no say. Either the financial-scandal ridden Lance-Bottoms (the black candidate), or the closet repub less-than-progressive white candidate Norwood. (I would have voted for the less-scandal ridden Vincent Fort, had I a choice) Either way, Atlanta will have its second female mayor in history.

Let the women lead! Let's have some new and original political scandals, not the same old boring crap from the men. heh

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
12-07-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: That Was Close! 3 Things to Know About Atlanta’s Wild Mayoral Race
You have interesting politics in GA. Ours are run of the mill...an occasional woman,then either white men, some of whom think they're running for the bible nuts. We need to diversify.

#NMP
My President is Barack Obama.
#TheResistance
12-07-2017, 01:02 PM
RE: That Was Close! 3 Things to Know About Atlanta’s Wild Mayoral Race
(12-07-2017 12:24 PM)jaxx Wrote:  You have interesting politics in GA. Ours are run of the mill...an occasional woman,then either white men, some of whom think they're running for the bible nuts. We need to diversify.

Not so much bible-thumpers in the city, that's more outside the metro area. The present note is that Atlanta has had only black mayors for the past 40+ years.

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.