Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Supreme Court Clash Between Artistry And The Rights Of Gay Couples
12-05-2017, 02:31 PM
A Supreme Court Clash Between Artistry And The Rights Of Gay Couples
https://www.npr.org/2017/12/04/566070515...ay-couples

From the article:
Quote:Every Supreme Court term there is at least one case that gets people's blood up. A case on which just about everyone has an opinion, often a ferocious opinion. That case comes before the justices Tuesday.

On one side is the state of Colorado and its public accommodations law barring discrimination against customers based on their race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. On the other side is a baker who is morally opposed to same-sex marriage and refuses to create cakes for same-sex wedding receptions.

A consensus about the facts but little else

There is no dispute about the facts of the case. Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins were organizing a wedding reception for themselves in Lakewood, Colo., and were referred by their wedding planner to the Masterpiece Cakeshop, known in particular for its wedding cakes.

When Mullins, along with Craig and his mother, arrived at the shop, bakery owner Jack Phillips greeted them politely, but, as soon as he realized who the wedding cake was for, Phillips instantly knew this was "not a cake that I can make." And he informed them that he did not make cakes for same-sex weddings.

These religionists don't get to practice their religious hatred in the public sphere, that's the reason for the separation of church and state. As usual, they're getting very creative with their brand of prejudice, in this case, the couple cannot have a custom-made cake, but they can have a pre-made one. They're trying to dance on the edges, but, hopefully, the Court will see that and not let the religionists have their way. The LBGT's are their target now, but I'm sure that they would have have Jim Crow segregation back. Angryfire

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
12-06-2017, 01:48 PM
RE: A Supreme Court Clash Between Artistry And The Rights Of Gay Couples
I have no faith in the court, less than with Scalia and now with Gorsuch who is a religious fanatic.

#NMP
My President is Barack Obama.
#TheResistance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top