Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Before Kaepernick, The 'Syracuse 8' Were Blackballed By Pro Football
11-19-2017, 05:13 AM
Before Kaepernick, The 'Syracuse 8' Were Blackballed By Pro Football
http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/11/17...ntent=2046

From the article:
Quote:"We used to meet at midnight," former Syracuse football player Dana Harrell says. "And we could have met earlier. But we used to meet at midnight, to lay out our thoughts and plans, just like the slaves.

Harrell was one of nine college football players the international media would — incorrectly — call the "Syracuse 8."

It was the late 1960s — after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X and Bobby Kennedy.

Dana and his black teammates didn’t just see racial injustice. They lived it. And they wanted to do something about it.

It's a great history lesson, and scary how recent those events were.

The fight for equal rights both on and off the field is nothing new, and the US should be embarrassed that it has to continue to the present. The majority does not get to whine about how put off they are while people are still dying and being denied because they have the wrong color skin.

It's not how far we have come, but how far we still have to go.

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-19-2017, 11:35 AM
RE: Before Kaepernick, The 'Syracuse 8' Were Blackballed By Pro Football
What a story!! New to me as I read every word of it. The 8 stood up for right and the school stood up for racism and people wonder why there is BLM today. The men can be proud of the outcome, they won their battle and never did anything to shame themselves or the school. 8 men of incredible principles.

#NMP
My President is Barack Obama.
#TheResistance
11-19-2017, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 09:30 PM by Brewman_Jax.)
RE: Before Kaepernick, The 'Syracuse 8' Were Blackballed By Pro Football
(11-19-2017 11:35 AM)jaxx Wrote:  What a story!! New to me as I read every word of it. The 8 stood up for right and the school stood up for racism and people wonder why there is BLM today. The men can be proud of the outcome, they won their battle and never did anything to shame themselves or the school. 8 men of incredible principles.

The shame is that the school and a racist society allowed this to happen and didn't care to do anything about it.

The REAL shame is that this story is late-breaking news to so many and the general ignorance of recent US history.

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.