Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No, you are not part Cherokee. And neither is Elizabeth Warren.
08-23-2017, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2017 12:47 PM by Brewman_Jax.)
No, you are not part Cherokee. And neither is Elizabeth Warren.
https://timeline.com/part-cherokee-eliza...6be035967e

From the article:
Quote:"There's a running joke in Indian country,” said a spokesperson for the Cherokee Nation in 2012. “If you meet somebody who you wouldn’t necessarily think they’re Native, but they say they’re Native, chances are they’ll tell you they’re Cherokee.”

But “Cherokees are among the best documented people in the world,” says David Cornsilk, a noted researcher of Cherokee genealogy. “We probably come in third after royalty and Mormons.” Between U.S. government records and the multiple existing sets of very thorough tribal kinship records, if you have Cherokee ancestry, there’s bound to be documentation somewhere.

Elizabeth Warren can’t provide that documentation. In defending her claim, she says only, “This is what my brothers and I were told by my mom and my dad, my mammaw and my pappaw.” Many people’s mammaws and pappaws have told them the same thing. There is a distinction, of course, between actual, provable citizenship of the Cherokee Nation, and purported heritage. But the interesting thing is not why Warren’s clung to her family lore for so long, it’s why so many white people in America claim Cherokee heritage to begin with. The answer is paradoxical: it’s a way of communicating authentic white Southern identity.

I've seen results of the ancestry DNA tests posted on the other website and various other places online. A lot of people are finding no Indian/native American/First Nations DNA links in the results, esp. those that had been told the tales through the years.

The southern need to link to a First Nations ancestor is very prominent in Virginia, esp. those that have a provable link to Pocahontas. Ironic, since they killed and/or displaced all of the Indians in colonial Virginia, including Pocahontas, who is buried in England, far from her home.

Most of the stories told by Nanas and Meemaws and Grampas and Pawpaws are just that, stories. The population percentage of Indians then, like now, is about 1%, and the Indians had been displaced far from the major populated areas. A racially stratified society that wanted the Indians gone is not likely to intermarry with them. Also, a large percentage of the population is descended from immigrants that arrived well after the Civil War, so their chances of meeting any Indians, much less marrying them, is rather remote.

Another need for Indian ancestry, IMO, is to make a display of diversity. I'm part (enter tribe name here), not just plain lily white. Ironic, since one can be part-Indian and still be white, while one cannot part-black and still be considered white. Doesn't work like that.

Nothing wrong with being what you are, regardless of the DNA and the old family stories, but one shouldn't be what one is not. All peoples have their culture and traditions, they shouldn't be treated as a novelty by those on the outside.

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
08-24-2017, 11:41 AM
RE: No, you are not part Cherokee. And neither is Elizabeth Warren.
OMG who gives a shit where our ancestors came from? Family scuttlebutt says my great grandfather on dad's side was part indian...can I prove it? No. Intermarrying has always been a part of our fiber, so lily white is a myth. Like Henry Gates said in his African series we all come from Africa. I'll buy that.

#NMP
My President is Barack Obama.
#TheResistance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top