Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Brilliance of Tina Fey's Cake Satire, Explained
08-21-2017, 11:49 PM
The Brilliance of Tina Fey's Cake Satire, Explained
http://www.playboy.com/articles/tina-fey-cake

From the article:
Quote:When Tina Fey vented about Charlottesville, neo-Nazis and Donald Trump while cramming her mouth with handfuls of a sheet cake decorated with an American flag on Weekend Update: Summer Edition last night, the internet went nuts. “Love Tina Fey, but I’m REALLY not feeling her ‘Ignore racism and stress-eat instead’ take. It strikes me as willfully naive and privileged,” bloggers Tom & Lorenzo tweeted. “Tina Fey’s 'Eat Cake’ Strategy After Charlottesville Is Bad Advice,” The Daily Beast somberly opined.

Thanks for that sharp insight, Daily Beast. The only problem with it is that Fey isn’t in the advice-giving business. She’s in the satire business, so don’t call us crazy for suspecting that when she urged viewers outraged by white nationalism’s depredations to “find a local business you support—maybe a Jewish run bakery or African-American run bakery—order a cake with the American flag on it…and just eat it,” she was mocking a clueless attitude, not endorsing it.

To anyone who took to Twitter to complain that her recommended solution to Trump-induced stress looked like “white privilege in action,” all we can say is bingo. We’ve watched the routine more than once, and it’s brilliant. It’s a brainy, self-lacerating caricature of how easily Trump-phobic vanilla liberals with relatively pampered lives, knowing they’re at little or no risk of being oppressed or marginalized themselves during his reign, can settle for venting their genuine but ineffectual rage without consequences.

On the contrary, it's not brilliant, it's lame. She may be picking on the lame white liberals that are "deer-in-the-headlights" frozen by all the stupid off-the-wall shit that Trump has done over the past months, but it's not funny to us people of color. This is the same white America inactivity bullshit that MLK highlighted in "A Letter From A Birmingham Jail".

The problem with satire is that the targeted audience is not always going to get the joke. In a Dave Chappelle interview, he had a skit of black people being in power and rioting to get the stuff they had been denied for not being white. When the skit was viewed by white people, they said that it exactly what black people would do. The joke and satirical wit fell on its face, and Chappelle didn't like the implication. White people don't have the eyes of a white-normative racist social caste system watching them all the time to make sure they stay in line, or castigating their stereotypical behavior. The skit seemed more to keep the people that need to get off their white-privileged asses stress-eating cake on their widening asses rather than march with the marginalized populations to stop Trump. The big reason the joke fell on its face is that the marginalized populations don't have that option, nor the power to kick the white asses that need to be kicked, whether it's liberal or conservative. The police let the white power neo-nazis do what they wanted, incl. open carry of guns or direct confrontation of the police line. A similar demonstration of black people would NOT get such a non-response from police.

So, pardon me if I'm not impressed by another lame white liberal comic giving aid and comfort to the comfortable. The purpose of satire is to make the comfortable UNcomfortable, not give them another reason to do nothing. Election day proved what inaction will do. Rolleyes

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
08-22-2017, 09:56 AM
RE: The Brilliance of Tina Fey's Cake Satire, Explained
I haven't seen the video, but it was tweeted many times...all positive. It seems insensitive to think cake will help anybody, but maybe it was to show what it got Marie Antoinette...the guillotine.

#NMP
My President is Barack Obama.
#TheResistance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top