Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LIFESAVING ADVICE FROM A BLACK WOMAN HELD AT GUNPOINT BY POLICE
07-16-2017, 07:06 AM
LIFESAVING ADVICE FROM A BLACK WOMAN HELD AT GUNPOINT BY POLICE
https://theundefeated.com/features/lifes...by-police/

From the article:
Quote:It’s still hard for me to believe that last month I almost became a hashtag — another black person gunned down by a panicky cop.

I don’t have a criminal record.

I shop at Trader Joe’s.

I’m college-educated.

I’m a woman.

As I stared at the officer nervously pointing his gun at me, I realized immediately what he saw: a black person who had no business being in his neighbor’s driveway.

I read the article; its advice is neither new nor late-breaking, esp. for black people. The title is rather disingenuous, detailing the usual poorly-trained and unprepared Dirty Harry-cops that don't follow SOP and the victimized black person who is praying not to become the next statistic. Charles Kinsey was the most compliant of all...and still shot by police, so been there, done that. Rolleyes

After reading the article, I can see that a few things were wrong beforehand. I will give the advice, since an ounce of prevention...

Looking at the map, Jefferson City, TN and Morristown, TN are hardly cosmopolitan cities. A lot of the South away from the big cities and highways are still in the Jim Crow-era mindset. She lives in cosmopolitan Charlotte. It's too easy to forget that. First mistake.

The most critical error was that she did not meet the seller face-to-face to finish the transfer. She was in a small town white neighborhood where everyone knows everyone and any unfamiliar face is going to get attention. An unfamiliar BLACK face is likely to get a 911 call. Having the seller on hand would have stopped the events in the article in the first place. All a cop sees is a scary black person, regardless of age, size, or gender.

Compliance and surrender are no guarantee of success. Tamir Rice, Philando Castille, John Crawford, and many others were not threatening, and very dead. At least Charles Kinsey lived to tell the tale. It's being aware of where you are and where you are going. It sucks that most of the US is still in the early-20th Century in mindset and race relations. You don't think so? Trump isn't President just because the Russians wanted it, most of white America did not want to change, but that's another post. Unfortunately, dealings with police come to the one thing that cannot change; we can't stop being black. Sadshake

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
07-16-2017, 11:37 AM
RE: LIFESAVING ADVICE FROM A BLACK WOMAN HELD AT GUNPOINT BY POLICE
That made my blood boil but I understand why she had to be the adult in the driveway. Preconceived notions make black people guilty by color. Damn them white peeps/cops for being so stupid. When my son got married they went to Myrtle Beach for their honeymoon. I cautioned them ahead of time that they might have trouble as a mixed couple and was scared while they were gone. Luckily they had no incidents. I still tell them to stay out of the south. Shame on me, but I know how it was and the cop trouble waiting to happen.

#NMP
My President is Barack Obama.
#TheResistance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top