Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
A Death Row Convict’s Final Words Set Two Innocent Men Free
07-14-2017, 03:01 PM
A Death Row Convict’s Final Words Set Two Innocent Men Free
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-de...OCID=HPDHP

From the article:
Quote:De’Marchoe Carpenter was running out of time.

He’d lost an appeal, Oklahoma’s governor twice denied him parole, and his post-conviction lawyers had just informed him that a key witness died of kidney failure. They were forced to mothball his case. But here Carpenter was, waiting among a flock of prisoners in a penitentiary gymnasium with a heart full of hope.

It was June 2013, and Carpenter and his childhood friend Malcolm Scott had spent 19 years—their entire adult lives—behind bars for a crime they didn’t commit. And the man who did do it, the only man who could corroborate their innocence to a world that seemed to have forgotten them, was scheduled to be executed in six months.

Carpenter stood by as a cluster of inmates browsed a table of children’s books. When their names were called, the men entered a classroom one by one, to be videotaped by a nonprofit that delivers messages to families of the incarcerated. As part of the project, the men read stories aloud to their kids and sent I-love-you’s through the camera.

It's a long read, but shows the power of the state when it doesn't want to follow its own rules. A powerless individual has no chance when the state wants to put you behind bars. Another reason that prosecutors should be held to account when they knowingly put an innocent on trial and in prison. The judiciary must be as accountable as law enforcement because they hold the trust and power of the state.

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
07-15-2017, 01:38 PM
RE: A Death Row Convict’s Final Words Set Two Innocent Men Free
“They were young black men,” Harris said of Carpenter and Scott. “That was enough of a crime in Tulsa.”

The Innocence Project is a wonder. Never giving up for the freedom so many have coming. If right could prosecute wrong those DA's and cops who loaded the 'facts' and coerced witnesses would have their own day in court. Guilty!

I read the entire piece as the story was so awful. To Scott and Carpenter I wish them all the good they deserve. And I hope they sue for damages of losing 22 years of their lives. In the end justice was finally served but at a terribly high price.

#NMP
My President is Barack Obama.
#TheResistance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top