Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Obama: DOMA Unconstitutional, DOJ Should Stop Defending In Court
02-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Obama: DOMA Unconstitutional, DOJ Should Stop Defending In Court
Heads will be exploding on the right and the left

Quote:President Obama has determined that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional, and that the Department of Justice should no longer defend the measure, which severely limits the potential of states to honor or carry out same-sex marriages, the administration announced Wednesday.

"The President believes that DOMA is unconstitutional. They are no longer going to be defending the cases in the 1st and 2nd circuits," a person briefed on the decision said, according to the National Journal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/23...27134.html

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
RE: Obama: DOMA Unconstitutional, DOJ Should Stop Defending In Court
Quote:While the Department has previously defended DOMA against legal challenges involving legally married same-sex couples, recent lawsuits that challenge the constitutionality of DOMA Section 3 have caused the President and the Department to conduct a new examination of the defense of this provision. In particular, in November 2011, plaintiffs filed two new lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of Section 3 of DOMA in jurisdictions without precedent on whether sexual-orientation classifications are subject to rational basis review or whether they must satisfy some form of heightened scrutiny. Windsor v. United States, No. 1:10-cv-8435 (S.D.N.Y.); Pedersen v. OPM, No. 3:10-cv-1750 (D. Conn.). Previously, the Administration has defended Section 3 in jurisdictions where circuit courts have already held that classifications based on sexual orientation are subject to rational basis review, and it has advanced arguments to defend DOMA Section 3 under the binding standard that has applied in those cases.

November 2011?

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
(02-23-2011 11:54 AM)Born_A_Truman Wrote:  
Quote:While the Department has previously defended DOMA against legal challenges involving legally married same-sex couples, recent lawsuits that challenge the constitutionality of DOMA Section 3 have caused the President and the Department to conduct a new examination of the defense of this provision. In particular, in November 2011, plaintiffs filed two new lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of Section 3 of DOMA in jurisdictions without precedent on whether sexual-orientation classifications are subject to rational basis review or whether they must satisfy some form of heightened scrutiny. Windsor v. United States, No. 1:10-cv-8435 (S.D.N.Y.); Pedersen v. OPM, No. 3:10-cv-1750 (D. Conn.). Previously, the Administration has defended Section 3 in jurisdictions where circuit courts have already held that classifications based on sexual orientation are subject to rational basis review, and it has advanced arguments to defend DOMA Section 3 under the binding standard that has applied in those cases.

November 2011?

It's HuffPost. They don't believe in editors.

“The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.” -- Dorothy Parker
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Sorry, that caught my eye.

In any event, I hope DOMA gets declared unconstitutional.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
02-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm glad he (or his spokesperson) finally came out and said this. Was the Obama Admin actually dragging its feet all this time, or was this delay a necessary part of the process? Does the "determination" actually come from the President to the DOJ, or from the DOJ to the President? I'm a bit confused as to how this is supposed to work.

I see that the DOJ addressed its letter to the Speaker of the House, i.e. Boehner. I certainly wish this had been able to be addressed to Nancy Pelosi instead -- say, back last October -- she would have heralded it, and Boehner will probably do his best to bury it. What is the House's role now?

But it is what it is, and it's a huge step in the right direction. Now, let's see some exploding heads!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does. ~Margaret Mead~