Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Should Democrats Embrace the Term "Obamacare"?
02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Should Democrats Embrace the Term "Obamacare"?
Any interesting question. Here is Jonathan Cohn's take on the issue:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-cohn/83...-obamacare

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
Should Democrats Embrace the Term "Obamacare"? #1 - NJMaverick - 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
[*]
02-09-2011, 03:40 PM
RE: Should Democrats Embrace the Term "Obamacare"?
I wouldn't do it. I'd let it be used by the extremist right, and then let it bite them in the ass when people start to realize the benefits, such as no refusal due to pre-existing conditions etc.

Besides, it was invented by Luntz and Fox. Why let them call the tune?

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it."--André Gide
02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
A guy at work said "Obamacare" today (it was a play on words) and I said "yeah, I could use more of that".

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
02-09-2011, 05:33 PM
It wouldn't be the first time luntznfaux did something that came back to bite them in their not so clever ass.

It's one of those descriptive terms that sounds nice and is but the way a con says it ..it sounds dirty like "Liberal". Maybe it will evolve on its own to be a term of endearment like DFW suggests.

It's a cinch "Baucuscare" won't cut it!roflmao

"Democracy Is Not A Spectator Sport. The Future Is Ours If We Actively Participate In Shaping It" Flag
John Harder~http://zerowastekauai.org/index.html
02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
(02-09-2011 05:33 PM)Cha Wrote:  It's a cinch "Baucuscare" won't cut it!roflmao

Imagine if Bush had passed healthcare reform. Shocked roflmao

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
(02-09-2011 07:55 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  

When do we get a spanking smilie? Facepalm

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
― Carl Sagan
02-09-2011, 09:24 PM
(02-09-2011 08:07 PM)azmouse Wrote:  
(02-09-2011 07:55 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  

When do we get a spanking smilie? Facepalm

When DO we get that spanking smilie?

Seriously, I don't like the term Obamacare. It isn't used in a positive light.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
02-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Y'all have been good, so you deserve a good Spank

02-10-2011, 06:42 AM
(02-09-2011 09:55 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  Y'all have been good, so you deserve a good Spank

That is a good spanking in Progress, tell me its a Democratic whipping going down for 2012. Can I adopt that icon.roflmaoroflmaoroflmao
02-10-2011, 06:43 AM
I hate that term. I first saw it coined in an email sent with a racist pic of our President. It was coined to set right wingers teeth to gnashing. Have you seen those chompers go into action still today when someone mentions Hillarycare? And that's without a freaking racist dog whistle attached.

If it somehow turns around and becomes a term synonymous with the excellent stuff the Affordable Care Act provides to this country, then I might change my mind. But I very rarely see it used in that fashion and hesitate to use it myself because I just can't get past its roots.
02-10-2011, 09:29 AM
I say no. To me it smacks of Republicans trying to reccapture 1994. I mean, Obama pushed for HCR but this billl was crafted by Congress. The term has little to. Do with Obama or this bill and everything to do with trying to capitalize on Hillarycare Hate
02-10-2011, 09:43 AM
i vote no.
02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
I call it health care reform. I'll be damned if I'm going to talk like a pub!

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
02-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't even suggest it for bills that viewed overwhelmingly positive. It's intent is to smear and gives an air of narcissism that will make people hate it for that reason alone.
02-10-2011, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 01:30 PM by mzmolly.)
Oops duplicate post.
02-10-2011, 01:05 PM
As long as we don't call it "job killing Obamacare" I'm fine with the use of the term. I tend to discuss the specifics with fools who want to return to the mercy of the free market, regardless. Wink

I agree with the conclusion drawn below.

Quote:Even so, I like the term. I think this bill will be popular someday and, in the meantime, I think it's a reminder that this administration did something that will help millions of Americans while starting to put our health care system in order. Maybe I'm wrong--I've certainly been wrong about this before--but I think that within a few years, and maybe even by 2012, association with the health care plan will be a net plus.
02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't think I've ever used it, but I'm glad it's being called Obamacare. Remind people who fought the insurance companies for them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Reminds me of that book, "Obama Nation." I could not figure out what was negative about that, it even sounded positive, like the nation was becoming Obama's. But then someone pointed out it sounds like "abomination." The right has a way of making a good or neutral term sound bad.

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama

Is féidir linn.