Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How about a Star Trek style tricorder
02-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:Your son wakes up in the middle of the night with a burning fever. It's 2 a.m. and your doctor isn't available. You can risk the line and price of the emergency room or you can wait it out. Neither choice will give you the answers you need now.

In an ideal world, you'd have Mr. Spock's tricorder from the Star Trek universe. A mixture between Wikipedia and an X-ray machine, the device rose to science fiction fame on the show because it could virtually detect anything with just a sensor scan.

That invention's day may be dawning. The X Prize Foundation, which pays huge cash prizes to intrepid inventors, is offering prize purses totaling $12.5 million for the creation of a first-generation tricorder that could be used for medical diagnoses. Nokia and Qualcomm are putting up the money for the contests.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...s/1874309/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFods1KSW...detailpage

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

There's nothing more reassuring then realizing the world is crazier than you are.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
02-23-2013, 02:22 PM
RE: How about a Star Trek style tricorder
Very interesting! The "tricorder" is one of my favorite Star Trek gizmos, but the "food replicator" is still my favorite.
02-23-2013, 02:28 PM
(02-23-2013 02:22 PM)janedrake Wrote:  Very interesting! The "tricorder" is one of my favorite Star Trek gizmos, but the "food replicator" is still my favorite.

Oh I hear ya about the replicator!... image not having to cook any more and no clean up!!
Notworthy

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

There's nothing more reassuring then realizing the world is crazier than you are.
02-23-2013, 02:32 PM
(02-23-2013 02:28 PM)azmouse Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 02:22 PM)janedrake Wrote:  Very interesting! The "tricorder" is one of my favorite Star Trek gizmos, but the "food replicator" is still my favorite.

Oh I hear ya about the replicator!... image not having to cook any more and no clean up!!
Notworthy

Worst Star Trek idea.....synthehol! What is the point of alcohol that won't get you drunk?

Drinkiepoo

GOTV in 2014
02-23-2013, 02:43 PM
(02-23-2013 02:32 PM)pappy Wrote:  Worst Star Trek idea.....synthehol! What is the point of alcohol that won't get you drunk?

Drinkiepoo

I dunno. I love the taste of alcohol but hate the effects. If I could sit and sip some fine bourbon or cognac all evening without getting drunk, that would be heaven.

[Image: smiley-eatdrink048.gif]

02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
(02-23-2013 02:32 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 02:28 PM)azmouse Wrote:  Oh I hear ya about the replicator!... image not having to cook any more and no clean up!!
Notworthy

Worst Star Trek idea.....synthehol! What is the point of alcohol that won't get you drunk?

Drinkiepoo

Lol! Amen to that, Pappy! I like a Sharps or O'Doul's as much as the next person, but if I had a choice between synthehol and some real Romulan Ale -- well, let's just say, no contest.

[Image: 126378.gif]
02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
(02-23-2013 02:50 PM)janedrake Wrote:  Lol! Amen to that, Pappy! I like a Sharps or O'Doul's as much as the next person, but if I had a choice between synthehol and some real Romulan Ale -- well, let's just say, no contest.

How to make your own Romulan ale: There are several recipes out there for Earth-bound Romulan ale. The simplest involves mixing equal amounts of vodka, rum, and blue curaçao, but this one sounds a bit tastier: equal parts vodka, triple sec, blue curaçao, and lemonade. Drink

02-23-2013, 03:15 PM
(02-23-2013 03:03 PM)azmouse Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 02:50 PM)janedrake Wrote:  Lol! Amen to that, Pappy! I like a Sharps or O'Doul's as much as the next person, but if I had a choice between synthehol and some real Romulan Ale -- well, let's just say, no contest.

How to make your own Romulan ale: There are several recipes out there for Earth-bound Romulan ale. The simplest involves mixing equal amounts of vodka, rum, and blue curaçao, but this one sounds a bit tastier: equal parts vodka, triple sec, blue curaçao, and lemonade. Drink

Hey Pappy, somehow think that Earth-made Romulan Ale just wouldn't be quite the same.
02-23-2013, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 02:52 PM by janedrake.)
Hear you about the bourbon, Azmouse. It's so delightful going down, but so frightful the next day.
02-23-2013, 03:06 PM
I want to be there when you ask the bartender for one. I want to see the look on their face. Lol
02-23-2013, 03:14 PM
(02-23-2013 03:06 PM)72ptheriot Wrote:  I want to be there when you ask the bartender for one. I want to see the look on their face. Lol

More the look on my face, @72! If I ever order a Romulan Ale in a bar, I will most likely be standing next to an actual Romulan. Wink
02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
(02-23-2013 03:14 PM)janedrake Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 03:06 PM)72ptheriot Wrote:  I want to be there when you ask the bartender for one. I want to see the look on their face. Lol

More the look on my face, @72! If I ever order a Romulan Ale in a bar, I will most likely be standing next to an actual Romulan. Wink

And I want to be there for that!!

Nanner

02-23-2013, 05:52 PM
(02-23-2013 03:26 PM)azmouse Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 03:14 PM)janedrake Wrote:  More the look on my face, @72! If I ever order a Romulan Ale in a bar, I will most likely be standing next to an actual Romulan. Wink

And I want to be there for that!!

Nanner

I want to be there when Sheriff Joe tries to arrest them.

GOTV in 2014
02-23-2013, 06:52 PM
(02-23-2013 05:52 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 03:26 PM)azmouse Wrote:  And I want to be there for that!!

Nanner

I want to be there when Sheriff Joe tries to arrest them.

Hello, Azmouse! Nanner

Laugh.out.loud, Pappy -- phaser stun, anyone?
02-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Fascinating.

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
02-24-2013, 12:27 AM
(02-23-2013 10:54 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  Fascinating.

Smile
02-24-2013, 08:10 AM
(02-23-2013 10:54 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  Fascinating.

Logical.

GOTV in 2014