Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm convinced - 3-D Printers are going to change everything
02-14-2013, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 02:11 AM by janedrake.)
I was gobsmacked to hear the Prez mention 3-D printing in his SOTU - I've been interested in this concept for quite a while and am truly convinced that right now in 2013, we have no clue of the amazing, positive changes this technology can bring to the world (and yes, there will be those who abuse it, as with everything -- but right now, I'm focusing on the positive). Check these out if you haven't seen them:

TED talk on the application of 3-D printing to artificial limbs:
http://youtu.be/fir5HI0Gwrc

3-D printing applied in the field of architecture
http://youtu.be/EfbhdZKPHro

Warning: This particular vid is super-geeky - but worth it!
http://youtu.be/dDnoMhMW5JM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
02-14-2013, 06:36 AM
These things are dropping in prices fast and may be in many homes in a few years. The applications for these things seem limitless. Good and bad.
02-14-2013, 07:14 AM
RE: I'm convinced - 3-D Printers are going to change everything
A recent episode of "This Old House" featured the use of one of these table top size machines being used to make 3D models of the architects designs directly from the architectural drawings.

This is a technology still in its infancy. I would put it at the same level of development that the PC was at in the mid 1980's. I hope this technology can develop at a similar pace as the PC has over those nearly 3 decades.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
02-14-2013, 06:27 PM
(02-14-2013 07:14 AM)pappy Wrote:  A recent episode of "This Old House" featured the use of one of these table top size machines being used to make 3D models of the architects designs directly from the architectural drawings.

This is a technology still in its infancy. I would put it at the same level of development that the PC was at in the mid 1980's. I hope this technology can develop at a similar pace as the PC has over those nearly 3 decades.

While it's in it's infancy as a commercial product, these things have been around for a long time. 10 years ago we thought about modeling a product using one of these. Apparently the process was invented in 1984! http://individual.troweprice.com/staticF..._FINAL.pdf

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
(02-14-2013 06:27 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  
(02-14-2013 07:14 AM)pappy Wrote:  A recent episode of "This Old House" featured the use of one of these table top size machines being used to make 3D models of the architects designs directly from the architectural drawings.

While it's in it's infancy as a commercial product, these things have been around for a long time. 10 years ago we thought about modeling a product using one of these. Apparently the process was invented in 1984! http://individual.troweprice.com/staticF..._FINAL.pdf

Which I suppose could be said about the PC circa 1985. Computers got invented decades before but were large and were not suitable for the consumer market. It took several breakthroughs including those by Apple to make the computer a consumer product.

CADCAM systems are also on the verge of going small scale and a consumer accessible technology. Many companies are marketing them for use in woodworking and some are priced to be affordable to the hobbyist.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
02-14-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm wowed! I had recently heard the term, but I had no idea.

Thanks for this.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does. ~Margaret Mead~
02-16-2013, 05:03 PM
I have actually seen one of the products of 3D printing and it really is amazing.

Since I have recently had a partial knee replacement I am interested in the application of the technology in bone and joint replacement.

There will be security concerns because with this technology you can print plastic handguns and rifles...

Facinating stuff...the law will have to get better at keeping up with rapidly changing technology. This is why it is so dangerous for our government to be hijacked by the Republicans and Teabaggers..

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.”

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

Plato