Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do so many advertisers think grown women want a teddy bear for Valentines Day?
02-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Why do so many advertisers think grown women want a teddy bear for Valentines Day?
A romantic card is nice, chocolates are very good, jewelry is great.
But what in the world do I want with a 4 ft tall, dust collecting, teddy bear???

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
Why do so many advertisers think grown women want a teddy bear for Valentines Day? #1 - azmouse - 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM
[*]
02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
RE: Why do so many advertisers think grown women want a teddy bear for Valentines Day?
Because they sell Teddy Bears. If you sold Teddy Bears you'd try to get men to buy them for women too.

No Justice? No Peace!
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
RE: Why do so many advertisers think grown women want a teddy bear for Valentines Day?
(02-11-2013 03:44 PM)pappy Wrote:  Because they sell Teddy Bears. If you sold Teddy Bears you'd try to get men to buy them for women too.

Have you seen the commercials? They're hilarious! Some dopey guy gives a pretty girl this huge bear, and you can see from the look on his face, he thinks he's getting laid that night. Not. Gonna. Happen. In. Real. Life. [Image: spit.gif]

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

― Carl Sagan
02-11-2013, 04:04 PM
(02-11-2013 03:53 PM)azmouse Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 03:44 PM)pappy Wrote:  Because they sell Teddy Bears. If you sold Teddy Bears you'd try to get men to buy them for women too.

Have you seen the commercials? They're hilarious! Some dopey guy gives a pretty girl this huge bear, and you can see from the look on his face, he thinks he's getting laid that night. Not. Gonna. Happen. In. Real. Life. [Image: spit.gif]

A little Grand Marnier would do a better job! Drink

No Justice? No Peace!
02-11-2013, 04:29 PM
(02-11-2013 04:04 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 03:53 PM)azmouse Wrote:  Have you seen the commercials? They're hilarious! Some dopey guy gives a pretty girl this huge bear, and you can see from the look on his face, he thinks he's getting laid that night. Not. Gonna. Happen. In. Real. Life. [Image: spit.gif]

Creep

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
02-11-2013, 05:17 PM
(02-11-2013 04:29 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 04:04 PM)pappy Wrote:  A little Grand Marnier would do a better job! Drink

Creep

roflmao

― Carl Sagan
02-11-2013, 07:04 PM
(02-11-2013 04:04 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 03:53 PM)azmouse Wrote:  Have you seen the commercials? They're hilarious! Some dopey guy gives a pretty girl this huge bear, and you can see from the look on his face, he thinks he's getting laid that night. Not. Gonna. Happen. In. Real. Life. [Image: spit.gif]

Yes it would, Pappy! "Have some madeira, m'dear!" Big Grin

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does. ~Margaret Mead~
02-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Guys, just consider this thread a bit of advice as to what NOT to get that special someone for Valentine's Day.

Grin

― Carl Sagan
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
(02-11-2013 05:20 PM)azmouse Wrote:  Guys, just consider this thread a bit of advice as to what NOT to get that special someone for Valentine's Day.

Grin

Actually gals, I don't think guys want a Teddy Bear for Valentine's Day either. Power tools however.....

No Justice? No Peace!
02-11-2013, 05:39 PM
(02-11-2013 05:29 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:20 PM)azmouse Wrote:  Guys, just consider this thread a bit of advice as to what NOT to get that special someone for Valentine's Day.

Grin

Actually gals, I don't think guys want a Teddy Bear for Valentine's Day either. Power tools however.....

Sounds like my husband. He'll take a tool of some kind for a gift any day. I think he has a few that have never even been out of the original wrappings but as long as he's happy.

― Carl Sagan
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
(02-11-2013 05:39 PM)azmouse Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:29 PM)pappy Wrote:  Actually gals, I don't think guys want a Teddy Bear for Valentine's Day either. Power tools however.....

Sounds like my husband. He'll take a tool of some kind for a gift any day. I think he has a few that have never even been out of the original wrappings but as long as he's happy.

Hey, I own three "palm sanders" but last I checked I still only have two palms.

No Justice? No Peace!
02-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I always thought it sent an odd message. It's a gift for a child.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I don't remember the holiday, but my husband actually got me a stuffed goose one year. WTF? Do you see stuffed animals anywhere in my world? Weirdest gift I ever got from him. Never got anything like it since. I don't get it either. Although I do like antique dolls. Is that weird?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
(02-11-2013 05:49 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  I don't remember the holiday, but my husband actually got me a stuffed goose one year. WTF? Do you see stuffed animals anywhere in my world? Weirdest gift I ever got from him. Never got anything like it since. I don't get it either. Although I do like antique dolls. Is that weird?

I think it's charming to collect antique dolls. I would always wonder about the little girl it once belonged to and how she played with it.

― Carl Sagan
02-11-2013, 07:02 PM
The ads are aimed at a certain kind of clueless guy who thinks "This is cute and cuddly. She'll think I'm cute and cuddly if I give it to her."

Reminds me of when I was a sales clerk at a tchotchke shop when I was in college. One of the little dust catchers was a dopey-looking statue of a guy with his arms stretched out like a kid with these words engraved on it: "I wuv you thiiis much." I kid you not, some guy, a customer, a total stranger, used that thing on me as a pick-up line -- or pick-up object, whatever.

That's desperate, is all I can say.

At least the teddy bears go between people who presumably know each other, but what it really says is "I have NO idea what you really want, and somehow flowers and chocolate have not crossed my mind."

Hekate

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does. ~Margaret Mead~
02-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Or the stupid pajamagram commercials. Paul gets me earrings. Every year. I must have 100 pairs of earrings he has bought me over the years--but I'm not complaining! My first husband bought me a new rear-end for his '61 Chevy.

Notice I said "first" husband.

'Nuff said.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
02-11-2013, 08:42 PM
(02-11-2013 03:39 PM)azmouse Wrote:  A romantic card is nice, chocolates are very good, jewelry is great.
But what in the world do I want with a 4 ft tall, dust collecting, teddy bear???

This whole thing brings back memories of the '80's, when a lot of television shows and movies would show the bedroom of the 'hot young twenty-something' with tons of pillows and stuffed animals on the bed. I didn't get it then, and I still don't get it!
02-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Yeah, the last thing I would want is a giant teddy bear! My daughter did get one for Christmas one year --- when she was 2!

Silence is consent.
02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Now I need to try to conceal my order. I wish I read this thread sooner.

Just joking I bought art classes for the both of us. Private class with wine served. We will spend the night painting, drinking and laughing. Probably at my painting I'm sure. Talentless I am.
02-12-2013, 11:00 AM
(02-12-2013 10:45 AM)72ptheriot Wrote:  Now I need to try to conceal my order. I wish I read this thread sooner.

Just joking I bought art classes for the both of us. Private class with wine served. We will spend the night painting, drinking and laughing. Probably at my painting I'm sure. Talentless I am.

Drinking and painting on the same night, huh? Humor will surely follow. Wink

― Carl Sagan