Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Close Encounter of the Asteroid Kind
02-11-2013, 09:30 AM
A Close Encounter of the Asteroid Kind
Quote:A near-Earth asteroid – called 2012 DA14 by astronomers – will pass very close to Earth on February 15, 2013. Astronomers estimate that, when it’s closest to us, it’ll be within the orbit of the moon (which averages about a quarter million miles away), and closer than some high-orbiting communications satellites. 2012 DA14 will be about 17,200 miles (27,680 kilometers) away. It will not strike Earth in 2013. Astronomers’ calculations of asteroid orbits can be trusted. After all, even decades ago, they knew enough about calculating orbits to send people to the moon and bring them safely back, and today we are able place our space vehicles in orbit around objects as small as asteroids.

The asteroid won’t be visible to the eye, but you can watch the February 15 asteroid flyby online, in real-time.

So, no, 2012 DA14 won’t strike us in 2013. There was a remote possibility it might strike us in 2020, but that possibility has been ruled out also.

http://earthsky.org/space/asteroid-2012-...th-in-2013

Panic <----- should you do this? No, not really. Drink <------ do this instead!

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
RE: A Close Encounter of the Asteroid Kind
From what I heard of its size, the gravitational pull won't be big enough to skew any ocean tides, although it might well make Frank Luntz's hairpiece lean to one side if he's not careful.

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it."--André Gide
02-11-2013, 04:27 PM
I wonder how much it's trajectory will be altered passing so close to the Earth.

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
02-11-2013, 05:11 PM
(02-11-2013 04:27 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  I wonder how much it's trajectory will be altered passing so close to the Earth.

That is a good question.

I think the scientists can make a rather accurate prediction of the change but the real answer won't come until several days after the pass. Several days of observations should give them a good picture of the change as well as the actual mass of the object.

No Justice? No Peace!