Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
CEO Sally Jewell to be nominated as Interior Secretary
02-06-2013, 08:23 AM
CEO Sally Jewell to be nominated as Interior Secretary
This is an interesting, unconventional choice. News organizations are reporting that Obama is nominating the CEO of outdoor gear company REI to head the Department of Interior.

I'm a member of REI and have always had a good impression of the company. Here's an interesting article about her from 2009.
REI’s active, activist CEO

Quote:Jewell is not your typical CEO. Then again, REI, the nation’s largest consumer cooperative, which is owned by its 3.7 million members, is not your typical company. They seem to be a good fit.

Jewell, who is 53, is active and an activist. She was in Washington (where we ate at Ten Penh) for a meeting of the Initiative for Global Development, a business-backed nonprofit that tries to use the power of business to fight global poverty. She’s a board member of the National Parks Conservation Association, which works to preserve our national parks for future generations. (Years of neglect have taken a toll.) She loves the outdoors, spending weekends and vacations hiking, camping, boating, skiing and snowboarding in her home state of Washington and around the world. “There is nothing like a taste of nature to nurture the soul,” Jewell says.

Of course, Jewell spends most of her time guiding REI, which had $1.4 billion in revenues in 2008 and, like most retailers, is struggling to adjust to the recession. The company eliminated about 60 jobs last year. Fortunately, because it’s a co-op, Jewell can focus on building REI for the long term instead of worrying about day-to-day stock-price fluctuations. “There are not analysts beating our door down saying, why aren’t you growing,” she says.

She sounds much better than the oil CEO's from the Bush years.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
RE: CEO Sally Jewell to be nominated as Interior Secretary
That's good information! Thanks Willinois!!

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
I forgot to add that she's on the board of the National Parks Conservation Association. A person who has been an advocate for National Parks in the non-profit world is now overseeing the National Parks. So freaking cool.
02-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Wow. That is a totally surprising choice. I don't think much double-speak on land use and jobs will get by her. She will undoubtedly know environmental issues from the left perspective. Don't now if that means she'll always follow that path though. For me, I think that means she knows you can't "thin" an old growth forest and pretend you're not logging, but what will that mean in policy. Can't wait to watch how this unfolds.
02-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Any idea what her position is on wild horses?

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
Find all posts by this user
02-07-2013, 08:40 AM
(02-06-2013 10:12 PM)Born_A_Truman Wrote:  Any idea what her position is on wild horses?

I haven't seen anything about that.