Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
A Look at Who Gets Left Out of Black History Month
02-04-2013, 08:25 AM
A Look at Who Gets Left Out of Black History Month
http://www.alternet.org/culture/look-who...tory-month

From the article:
Quote:...
We have come a long way since 1926, in addressing the whitewashing of history, but perhaps we should address some of the almost artificial borders and boundaries we have set on that history, and examine peoples and histories who are not usually part of the package.

We have just celebrated the reelection of our first black president, Barack Hussein Obama. Yet my students have been unable to answer the question, "Who was the first black President in North America?"

None thought to mention Jean-Jacques Dessalines, as first head of state of a liberated Haiti. But if we are defining North America as Canada, the U.S. and Mexico (excluding the Caribbean), there is little excuse to be ignorant of the historic figure of Vicente Guerrero, who became Mexico's second president on April 1, 1829. His father, Pedro Guerrero, was an Afro-Mexican and his mother Guadalupe SaldaƱa, was indigenous.

Approximately 90% of slaves brought from the Trans-Atlantic slave went to the Caribbean Islands and Brazil, the last 10% was split between the US, Mexico, and other places. Considering the vast number of African slaves brought to those areas, their achievements and those of their descendents, often mixed-race, are regularly left out of the history books; even more so when it comes to black history. Just like in the US, significant black and/or mestizo figures are either left out of the textbooks or they are often displayed as white European. This a vast unacknowledged area of history and is beginning to come to light.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
02-04-2013, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 08:56 AM by Willinois.)
RE: A Look at Who Gets Left Out of Black History Month
Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Martin Luther King obviously deserves all the attention he gets, but it's a shame more time isn't spent on other civil rights leaders. One of my favorite histories is "Defying Dixie: The Radical Roots of Civil Rights, 1919-1950." It covers some of the Southern civil rights heroes before the King-era who are rarely mentioned.

Pauli Murray was an especially interesting leader who was organizing sit-ins and talking about non-violent direct action years before King.
http://paulimurrayproject.org/pauli-murray/biography/

I think it's interesting that two of the most visionary civil rights movement leaders were also gay, Murray and Bayard Rustin. I suppose that's partly why they got so little recognition at the time, or today.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2013, 10:15 AM
(02-04-2013 08:52 AM)Willinois Wrote:  Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Martin Luther King obviously deserves all the attention he gets, but it's a shame more time isn't spent on other civil rights leaders. One of my favorite histories is "Defying Dixie: The Radical Roots of Civil Rights, 1919-1950." It covers some of the Southern civil rights heroes before the King-era who are rarely mentioned.

Pauli Murray was an especially interesting leader who was organizing sit-ins and talking about non-violent direct action years before King.

I think it's interesting that two of the most visionary civil rights movement leaders were also gay, Murray and Bayard Rustin. I suppose that's partly why they got so little recognition at the time, or today.

Thanks much. Wave History is written by the winners, is very selective, and rather unkind to those left out. Since Black History Month has just started, I should post some history that didn't make it to the history books, one of my well-noted works I started when I was a regular at the other website. I have the originals and plenty of material, and there's always more to add.
02-04-2013, 12:39 PM
(02-04-2013 10:15 AM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  

Thanks much. Wave History is written by the winners, is very selective, and rather unkind to those left out. Since Black History Month has just started, I should post some history that didn't make it to the history books, one of my well-noted works I started when I was a regular at the other website. I have the originals and plenty of material, and there's always more to add.

Please Do! I rememer that well and learned quite a lot at the time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 03:15 PM
(02-04-2013 10:15 AM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  

Brewman, see if you can find the names of those who were arrested for not giving up their seat on the bus before Rosa Parks. Thanks in advance.
02-05-2013, 05:39 PM
(02-05-2013 03:15 PM)Fire1 Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 10:15 AM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  Thanks much. Wave History is written by the winners, is very selective, and rather unkind to those left out. Since Black History Month has just started, I should post some history that didn't make it to the history books, one of my well-noted works I started when I was a regular at the other website. I have the originals and plenty of material, and there's always more to add.
Brewman, see if you can find the names of those who were arrested for not giving up their seat on the bus before Rosa Parks. Thanks in advance.

Fire1, not to be facetious, but that is a bit of a broad category. The fight for equal access to transportation, i.e., not just on buses, went on before Rosa Parks, and, no thanks to our censored history, most have been forgotten and/or not written about. However, I do have articles on a couple of the more noted figures, Elizabeth "Lizzie" Jennings in the 1850's and Claudette Colvin in 1954, right before Rosa Parks. Was one of those what you had in mind?
02-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Let me give you stars for this post! I'm learning -- or relearning -- some valuable lessons. Thanks for bringing it here.

Hekate

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does. ~Margaret Mead~