Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Interesting discussion at NYT on weekly television vs. Netflix 'binge'
02-01-2013, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 03:55 PM by janedrake.)
Found the comments section to be quite interesting on this piece:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/01/busine...ef=general

With Kevin Spacey's House of Cards launched today on Netflix, (all 13 episodes at once) I can't help but think the writing is on the wall for the way we'll be consuming television in the 21st century. And I have to admit, I'm now addicted to streaming Hulu and Netflix and being able to buy and stream content from Apple (through Apple TV). I am sorely tempted to drop-kick my cable service, especially given it's costing me about 10 times a month in what I pay for Hulu and Netflix combined, and I spend roughly 90% of my time actually watching streaming content, not cable.

Anyone else finding this dynamic? Anyone else excited to see Spacey's House of Cards? Have you seen the original?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
02-01-2013, 04:37 PM
RE: Interesting discussion at NYT on weekly television vs. Netflix 'binge'
I have the original 'House of Cards' trilogy on DVD. All three were adapted from books written by Michael Dobbs, who spent some time as a Parliamentary under-secretary in the Thatcher government. Apart from a few minor changes, the trilogy is very faithful to the books, which were a great read; Dobbs knew what he was talking about.

I probably will not be watching the remake; Ian Richardson's portrayal of Francis Urquart (FU) was sublime and I doubt it could be improved on.

Another British political thriller that suffered badly from being re-made for USA audiences was 'State of Play'. This was originally a six-part TV series but was remade as a movie in the US. It was woeful and unbelievable.
02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
(02-01-2013 04:37 PM)canetoad Wrote:  I have the original 'House of Cards' trilogy on DVD. All three were adapted from books written by Michael Dobbs, who spent some time as a Parliamentary under-secretary in the Thatcher government. Apart from a few minor changes, the trilogy is very faithful to the books, which were a great read; Dobbs knew what he was talking about.

I probably will not be watching the remake; Ian Richardson's portrayal of Francis Urquart (FU) was sublime and I doubt it could be improved on.

Another British political thriller that suffered badly from being re-made for USA audiences was 'State of Play'. This was originally a six-part TV series but was remade as a movie in the US. It was woeful and unbelievable.

Hey, Canetoad - thanks for the background on the Brit version of House of Cards. Being someone that loves Brit tv, I, too, have the original House of Cards and State of Play on DVD Smile . I'd caught the American version of SoP on HBO -- and you're right - it was 'ok.' -- But then, I'd probably walk through a wall to watch anything David Morrisey (The Next Doctor) and John Simm (Life on Mars, Doctor Who) are in. And, on that note, I also loved the British version of Life on Mars -- but actually did thought the American version was the bees knees, too.

Although I don't expect Spacey's HoC to come anywhere near Ian Richardson's, I'd be lying to myself if I said I wasn't going to check it out this weekend. Given that Spacey has also spent a fair amount of time as artistic director of the Old Vic, this all may turn out better than I dare hope for (as the Brits might put it).
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 08:48 PM by canetoad.)
(02-01-2013 05:21 PM)janedrake Wrote:  Hey, Canetoad - thanks for the background on the Brit version of House of Cards. Being someone that loves Brit tv, I, too, have the original House of Cards and State of Play on DVD Smile . I'd caught the American version of SoP on HBO -- and you're right - it was 'ok.' -- But then, I'd probably walk through a wall to watch anything David Morrisey (The Next Doctor) and John Simm (Life on Mars, Doctor Who) are in. And, on that note, I also loved the British version of Life on Mars -- but actually did thought the American version was the bees knees, too.

Although I don't expect Spacey's HoC to come anywhere near Ian Richardson's, I'd be lying to myself if I said I wasn't going to check it out this weekend. Given that Spacey has also spent a fair amount of time as artistic director of the Old Vic, this all may turn out better than I dare hope for (as the Brits might put it).

You might say that....I couldn't possibly comment. Tongue

Agree about David Morrisey. Two other excellent performances in Red Riding Trilogy and Thorne, both of which I think are from ITV Yorkshire. John Sim and Bill Nighy are also favourites.

You'll probably hate me for admitting this, but I just don't watch American TV or movies. I came to Oz as a 10 year old and my cultural roots are still intrinsically British. Can't help bad luck lol.

I belong to a private Brit torrent site that enables me to download Brit shows literally an hour after they have gone to air. PM me if you'd like further details.
02-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I watch a lot of premium channel shows from HBO, Showtime and Starz. I often end up getting and watching entire seasons at once. They're written to be viewed that way. They're not like sitcoms with a snappy conclusion at the end of every episode. Every episode is a cliffhanger and seasons are often based on novels. They're almost the only shows worth watching after TV made most of its programming reality garbage.

I laughed at his comment about shows getting cancelled before people start watching them. I finally started Boss from Starz after a few friends kept praising it, but they just canceled after the second season.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2013, 07:48 PM
I watch Hulu & Netflix almost exclusively. I did watch that new The Americans on FX I think. But some of that streams on Hulu too. I have seen more programs on Hulu than I ever did when they were series because it was too difficult to keep up with the schedules and if you miss one, you're lost. With streaming you can jump in whenever you want and watch several episodes or the whole thing. Netflix also has a lot of British programming and it's fun to compare the program variations and watch programs from both sides of the pond. Also - if you haven't seen the "UP" series, it's fantastic, at least it was to me. A sociologist follows a selection of kids through their life, starting at age 7. It was first intended to be a look at the next ge.neration, around 1963 or so. But then the sociologist thought it would be interesting to see what they were doing at age 14, and then it went on every 7 years from there. The most recent was 56 UP, I don't know if it's been released to Netflix or not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Hey Canetoad, thanks for the offer -- I love my Brit TV, but I'm not in that much of a hurry to watch it! Smile

On another note, just finished House of Cards -- verdict: it more than lives up to the hype. I feel foolish now thinking it couldn't possibly live up to the original - in many ways it exceeds it. Can't wait for season two now.

Re: American shows -- granted, they have devolved over the last ten years, but you just might be missing out. "Suits" on the USA Network rivals anything comparable from across the pond. Smile
02-03-2013, 07:03 PM
janedrake,
I've read a few reviews of the HOC remake and it sounds good. I will definitely be watching when it becomes available.

As for season two; are they doing the second part of the trilogy 'To Play the King'?
02-04-2013, 05:11 AM
(02-03-2013 07:03 PM)canetoad Wrote:  janedrake,
I've read a few reviews of the HOC remake and it sounds good. I will definitely be watching when it becomes available.

As for season two; are they doing the second part of the trilogy 'To Play the King'?

You might very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment! (Sorry, couldn't help myself).

Seriously, though -- not exactly. The remake references the original, but doesn't follow it play-by-play. Given where season one ended, though, To Play the King and Final Cut will most likely be the themes in the second season.
02-04-2013, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 09:24 PM by janedrake.)
One more thing that 'binge' viewing impressed upon me about this show -- because Netflix is not worried about "channel surfing," the opening of each episode of this show is allowed an unheard-of, luxurious one-and-a-half-minute opening (yes, I timed it with my cellphone), vs. the now 5 or 10 second opening on network televison. And it is gorgeous -- between the time-lapse photography and the deep bass score.... yeah, I'm hooked. Sue me.
02-05-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm just tired of paying for channels that we never watch. Like Fox News, Current TV, MTV etc. At least with the Internet I pay for what I want.