Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Slavery "remorse" introduced in Georgia legislature
01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Slavery "remorse" introduced in Georgia legislature
http://www.11alive.com/News/politics/272...egislature

From the article:
Quote:ATLANTA -- A conservative Republican State Senator proposed a legislative resolution on Thursday expressing regret and remorse for support of slavery in Georgia before and during the Civil War.

Sen. Barry Loudermilk (R-Cassville) stopped short of calling it an apology, saying, "no one can apologize for something a previous legislature has done."

He told 11 Alive he was approached by some African American ministers who asked him to sponsor the resolution.

"This is not political, this is something that we need to do; we need to acknowledge our errors of the past or you're destined to repeat those in the future," Loudermilk said.

Something I thought I'd never see, by a repub, no less. Time will tell if the resolution passes. Clap
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-30-2013, 11:23 AM
RE: Slavery "remorse" introduced in Georgia legislature
That's a bold stand...if he had taken it 175 years ago.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
" regret and remorse for support of slavery in Georgia before and during the Civil War."

Odd, no mention of treatment of former slaves after the civil war. Well, maybe not so odd.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
If they express regret for being traitors and seceding from the Union specifically in order to maintain slaves, I might listen to them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 01:18 PM by Fire1.)
Too many are still saying, "We want our country back," which simply means we want things the way they were 50 years ago. It was a simpler time when everyone knew his place. I could believe it, if the republican ideology in any way supported minorities but it doesn't and never will.
01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
This might have had some value if the repubs and the neo-Confederates weren't working so hard to re-write history in their favor, shown here The Confederacy Making a Comeback in the South? KKK Grand Wizard Glorified, Civil Rights Heroes Ignored