Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to leave Obama administration
01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm disappointed to hear this. He used to be my Congressman at one point in time. He's at least a sane, fairly moderate Republican, and I like that he personally knows about transportation issues in my hometown. Having a Republican in that job might have tampered down some of the lunacy against public transit and rail funding.

I believe Obama's investments in rail and getting the Department to focus more on non-automobile transportation will be one of the administration's most important legacies. If we're going to deal with climate change and reduce dependence on oil then we have to give people alternatives to driving everywhere.

Quote:Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, the last Republican left in President Obama's Cabinet, announced Tuesday he is stepping down.

In a note to department staff, LaHood said he would remain at the helm until a replacement is confirmed to ensure "a smooth transition for the department and all the important work we still have to do."

The former seven-term congressman from Peoria, Ill., has led the department since 2009 and was not expected to stay on through a second term. Among those who have been prominently mentioned as a possible successor is Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, whose mayoral term ends June 30 and who played a key role in writing a provision of last year's federal transportation bill that is designed to speed up projects throughout the country, including in Los Angeles.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]