Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Armed 'Good Guys' And The Realities Of Facing A Gunman
01-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Armed 'Good Guys' And The Realities Of Facing A Gunman
http://www.npr.org/2013/01/29/170456129/...g-a-gunman

From the article:
Quote:...

It was 2005, at the Tacoma Mall in Washington state. McKown had been chatting with friends when gunshots rang out. Everyone hid; but McKown had a pistol. For years, he'd carried a legal concealed weapon, with the thought that someday he'd protect others. Now it seemed that moment had come.

Gun drawn, McKown scanned for the shooter. But the gunshots stopped. Unsure what had happened, McKown tucked his pistol back under his coat — just as the shooter walked right in front of him.

"So anyway, I'm standing there like Napoleon Bonaparte, with his hand, you know, in his jacket," he recalls. "So I said, 'Young man, I think you need to put your weapon down.' "

That moment of vulnerability gave the other guy just enough time to shoot McKown. The bullet hit his spine, and he found himself unable to aim his own gun.

La Pierre got it wrong. In this case, the bad guy walked away in custody, the good guy can no longer walk. A gun fight is not a movie set or video game, you don't get to end the scene and everyone gets up or hit the reset button.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-29-2013, 07:33 AM
RE: Armed 'Good Guys' And The Realities Of Facing A Gunman
People who put on a show about that sort of thing, do not understand 'fire fight'.

The infantry trains assiduously for a fire fight; it is a team effort to stalk and root out prey. And, the assault team will sustain casualties.

It is not for amateurs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top