Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mali music ban by Islamists 'crushing culture to impose rule'
01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
I found this posted on the facebook page of one of my favorite bands Tinariwen, who are from Mali. The article is a little old, but it gives context to what you may have heard about the French military action happening now in Mali.

Quote:Nowhere does music have a greater social and political importance than in the vast desert state of Mali. It is shocking, therefore, that it has been banned across much of the two-thirds of Mali currently controlled by Islamic rebel groups.

As "Manny" Ansar, the director of the country's celebrated Festival in the Desert, which has now been forced out of the country, explained: "Music is important as a daily event. It's not just a business, for it's through our music that we know history and our own identity. Our elders gave us lessons through music. It's through music that we declare love and get married – and we criticise and make comments on the people around us."

Quote:And yet the Islamic rebel groups are trying to wipe out this ancient culture – and in the process have forced Malian musicians to examine the role they should now play. Ansar said he was "ashamed at what has happened has happened – and it was provoked by people who call themselves Muslims, like me".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]