Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
U.S. Appeals Court Rules Against Recess NLRB Appointments
01-25-2013, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 10:34 AM by MilesColtrane.)
U.S. Appeals Court Rules Against Recess NLRB Appointments
Sonofabitch! Angryfire

Quote:-snip-

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit said that (President) Obama did not have the power to make three recess appointments last year to the National Labor Relations Board.

-snip-

Obama claims he acted properly in the case of the NLRB appointments because the Senate was away for the holidays on a 20-day recess. But the three-judge panel ruled that the Senate technically stayed in session when it was gaveled in and out every few days for so-called "pro forma" sessions.

GOP lawmakers used the tactic - as Democrats have in the past as well - to specifically to prevent the president from using his recess power. GOP lawmakers contend the labor board has been too pro-union in its decisions. They had also vigorously opposed the nomination of (Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Richard) Cordray.

-snip-

The Obama administration is expected to appeal the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court, but if it stands, it means hundreds of decisions issued by the board over more than a year are invalid. It also would leave the five-member labor board with just one validly appointed member, effectively shutting it down. The board is allowed to issue decisions only when it has at least three sitting members.

More from AP:

Republican tactic shuts down the NLRB

"I'm not a member of any organized party. I'm a Democrat." -Will Rogers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-25-2013, 06:43 PM
RE: U.S. Appeals Court Rules Against Recess NLRB Appointments
Quote:President George W. Bush made about 170 such appointments, including John R. Bolton to be ambassador to the United Nations and two appeals court judges, William H. Pryor Jr. and Charles W. Pickering Sr.

So make those judges resign right now!!!!

Quote:The ruling also called into question nearly 200 years of previous such appointments by administrations across the political spectrum. The executive branch has been making intrasession appointments since 1867 and has been using recess appointments to fill vacancies that opened before a recess since 1823. Among other things, Mr. Elwood noted, it called into question every ruling made by several federal appeals court judges who were installed by recess power.

Quote:The three judges on the appeals court panel, all of them appointed by Republicans, rejected the Justice Department’s argument that Mr. Obama could make the labor board appointments by declaring the Senate’s pro forma sessions during its winter break — in which a single senator came into the empty chamber every three days to bang the gavel — a sham. The Republican-controlled House of Representatives had refused to let the Democratic-controlled Senate adjourn for more than three days.

NY Times Link

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top