Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
When you thought they couldn't be any more ignorant...
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 04:08 PM by Brewman_Jax.)
When you thought they couldn't be any more ignorant...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-...ts&fref=ts

A little newsflash for them, there are quite a few "white history" months. They go by the unconventional names of May, June, July, August, and any month not designated for someone else. BTW, there's a lot of "white history" taught in February. I came across this when this showed up on my facebook feed from someone on my friend list that has been a regular RW ass for a while.

That individual has been de-friended.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-24-2013, 04:46 PM
RE: When you thought they couldn't be any more ignorant...
Not a new phenomenon. I've heard this for decades from former coworkers none of whom I ever called friend for obvious reasons.

GOTV in 2014
01-24-2013, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 04:53 PM by Brewman_Jax.)
(01-24-2013 04:46 PM)pappy Wrote:  Not a new phenomenon. I've heard this for decades from former coworkers none of whom I ever called friend for obvious reasons.

Quite true, but I was surprised, and saddened, to see that someone I knew would be in that category.
01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
(01-24-2013 04:51 PM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 04:46 PM)pappy Wrote:  Not a new phenomenon. I've heard this for decades from former coworkers none of whom I ever called friend for obvious reasons.

Quite true, but I was surprised, and saddened, to see that someone I knew would be in that category.

Occasionally I have also been surprised. In fact one former coworker who I thought was more level headed and sane started linking on Facebook to tea party propaganda. I have a zero tolerance policy now and one such post was enough and he was blocked without any explanation from me. I don't need to waste any energy on lost causes.

GOTV in 2014
01-24-2013, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 07:37 PM by suzie.)
Isn't NAAWP David Duke's old group?

That's pretty hard core. For David, it was a way to make money.
01-24-2013, 08:39 PM
(01-24-2013 07:36 PM)suzie Wrote:  Isn't NAAWP David Duke's old group?

That's pretty hard core. For David, it was a way to make money.

You are correct. He started it in 1979 after he left the KKK. Guess he needed some "respectability".
01-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Phillip Reid. Elizabeth Keckly. I'm sure there are many many others. Until these names are as common as Betsy Ross and Pierre L'Enfant - we aren't done needing black history and hispanic history months.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2013, 08:21 AM
US history is "white male history". A few token women get mentioned in history books but the realities of life for women and their accomplishments are passed over.
Having at least one month (and I like to note it's the shortest month on the calendar Facepalm ) to educate about black history is a start in the right direction.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
01-25-2013, 04:02 PM
When my daughter was half-way through her junior year in high school, she came to Washington to live with me and my husband. The town she grew up in is mostly white; not a real small town, but smallish. I grew up in the same town.

When we enrolled her in the high school she graduated from, she came home one day shortly after starting there, and said she noticed there were formal student groups for blacks, Hispanics, Native Islanders, and Asians. She asked me why there weren't any groups for white people.

She didn't ask this out of racism, but out of the experience of not having any of these groups at her former high school. So, I explained to her that whites had dominated in this country since its beginning, to the point where non-whites were often not acknowledged as being part of the society, and when noticed, were often looked down upon. There was more to my explanation than that, but her reaction was great. She said, "Oh, I see!"

Silence is consent.
01-25-2013, 06:02 PM
(01-25-2013 04:02 PM)SeattleGirl Wrote:  When my daughter was half-way through her junior year in high school, she came to Washington to live with me and my husband. The town she grew up in is mostly white; not a real small town, but smallish. I grew up in the same town.

When we enrolled her in the high school she graduated from, she came home one day shortly after starting there, and said she noticed there were formal student groups for blacks, Hispanics, Native Islanders, and Asians. She asked me why there weren't any groups for white people.

She didn't ask this out of racism, but out of the experience of not having any of these groups at her former high school. So, I explained to her that whites had dominated in this country since its beginning, to the point where non-whites were often not acknowledged as being part of the society, and when noticed, were often looked down upon. There was more to my explanation than that, but her reaction was great. She said, "Oh, I see!"

Not to mention, in a lot of regions of the country there are white groups and white ethnic celebrations - Irish-Amerians, Italian-Americans, Franco-Americans, Greeks, German, Norwegian, Russian, etc etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
(01-25-2013 04:02 PM)SeattleGirl Wrote:  When my daughter was half-way through her junior year in high school, she came to Washington to live with me and my husband. The town she grew up in is mostly white; not a real small town, but smallish. I grew up in the same town.

Well done! One more member added to the struggle to end the racist social caste system. [Image: innocent0001.gif]

When you're a member of the norm, the group that all other groups are measured by, you don't see it, and you don't have to. If there are any questions, notice how "everyone" is Irish on St. Patrick's Day, but only black people are black on MLK Day.