Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Georgia PSC reignites the debate over ‘free’ cell phones
01-15-2013, 08:14 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider-j...ll-phones/

From the article:
Quote:Last fall, as the presidential contest reached a fever pitch, a video raced across the Internet, featuring an African-American woman in Cleveland who praised President Barack Obama for giving her a free cell phone.

“Everybody in Cleveland — low minorities — got Obama phones,” she said.
(Youtube link here)

Critics decried the clip as racist. Politifact awarded its vaunted “Pants on Fire” rating to Republican claims that the president was attempting to buy votes with cell phones.

Even so, tea party forces built a campaign around the video in an unsuccessful attempt to counter criticism Mitt Romney had endured for declaring — in a video captured by the left — that 47 percent of Americans were too dependent on government handouts to vote Republican.

The phone furor died quickly after Nov. 6. But we in Georgia are about to revive it. With a vengeance.

The offensive video clip is linked in the article.

As we all know, nothing pisses off the racist rabid RW, other than a black man as President, is people of color (POC) getting anything from the government. The state PSC is going to impose a $5/month fee on the Lifeline cellphone program in order to "prevent fraud". Rather than actually addressing the problem, they're going take their anger out on the people least able to afford it. Also, the $5 does not go to the gov't, it goes to the cellphone companies, who never wanted the fee in the first place. How's that for irony? Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-15-2013, 09:19 PM
RE: Georgia PSC reignites the debate over ‘free’ cell phones
Assholes. My lily white mother has one of those phones, because her only income is from her Social Security, which isn't much, and even $5 a month would be a lot to someone like her. She barely even uses the phone because frankly, it's confusing to her - she's more old school when it comes to things like phones, but still, she needs that phone in case of emergencies.

Luckily she doesn't live in Georgia, but these racist pigs that control the state of Georgia are gonna hurt people like her in Georgia because they want to punish the poor who they think are all black, but I have family in Georgia, and I guarantee there's more white people on government assistance than black people, which makes me wonder, why do these white yahoos keep voting Republican?

And another thing that never gets mentioned is people who get these phones get limited minutes, it's not like they can talk for hours and hours every day and not pay anything. She only gets 250 minutes a month, which is about 4 hours a month.

I think what these bigots see in their pea-sized brains is their twisted vision of the stereotypical "Welfare queen" riding around in a pink Cadillac talking on a free cell phone all day - when the truth is these phones go to real people with real needs.

"Understand that the more deeply you hold your ideals,
the more you are morally obligated to be pragmatic...Idealism without pragmatism
is just a way to flatter your ego." -Barney Frank
01-16-2013, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 05:59 AM by pappy.)
(01-15-2013 09:19 PM)PoliticalTiger Wrote:  Assholes. My lily white mother has one of those phones, because her only income is from her Social Security, which isn't much, and even $5 a month would be a lot to someone like her. She barely even uses the phone because frankly, it's confusing to her - she's more old school when it comes to things like phones, but still, she needs that phone in case of emergencies.

Luckily she doesn't live in Georgia, but these racist pigs that control the state of Georgia are gonna hurt people like her in Georgia because they want to punish the poor who they think are all black, but I have family in Georgia, and I guarantee there's more white people on government assistance than black people, which makes me wonder, why do these white yahoos keep voting Republican?

And another thing that never gets mentioned is people who get these phones get limited minutes, it's not like they can talk for hours and hours every day and not pay anything. She only gets 250 minutes a month, which is about 4 hours a month.

I think what these bigots see in their pea-sized brains is their twisted vision of the stereotypical "Welfare queen" riding around in a pink Cadillac talking on a free cell phone all day - when the truth is these phones go to real people with real needs.

Out of curiosity (as a retired on SOC. SEC. senior) do you know the income limits to qualify for a phone?

Edit: Never mind I found it. It is 135% of the poverty level.

GOTV in 2014
01-16-2013, 06:42 AM
(01-15-2013 09:19 PM)PoliticalTiger Wrote:  Assholes. My lily white mother has one of those phones, because her only income is from her Social Security, which isn't much, and even $5 a month would be a lot to someone like her. She barely even uses the phone because frankly, it's confusing to her - she's more old school when it comes to things like phones, but still, she needs that phone in case of emergencies.

I hope there's a special place in Hell for Reagan for starting and marketing the "Welfare queen" meme. I think that's behind a lot of their need to cut gov't spending, meaning no spending on the "undeserving", i.e. POC.

As for why those white yahoos continually voted against their interests, I think Steinbeck was right when he said that the (white) poor don't see themselves as oppressed, but as temporarily inconvenienced millionaires.
01-16-2013, 07:49 AM
They barely get any mins. on those phones. It's not like they have a bucket of free mins. I would be willing to bet most people go over and have to pay. So you get a crappy phone with little to no mins. with a higher per min charge if you go over. This is what the right is focused on.