Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1963 at 50: A Year's Tumult Echoes Still
01-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:A new year was just beginning — an extraordinary year, in which so much would change.

Half a century ago, on Jan. 14, 1963, George Wallace took the podium to give his inaugural address as governor of Alabama. His words framed a fiery rejoinder to a civil rights movement gathering strength.

"I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny," he thundered, "and I say, segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever!"

Fifty years later, the words still have the power to shock. In college classes like "The Sixties in History and Memory," today's students recoil.

more at: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/1963-...s-18198456

I expect as this year of 2013 moves on we'll be hearing more about the events of 1963 and how those events still affect life today.
November will mark the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination. Be prepared for many shows questioning what really happened on that day in Dallas.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-13-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: 1963 at 50: A Year's Tumult Echoes Still
Marina Oswald did it.
01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
(01-13-2013 11:49 AM)suzie Wrote:  Marina Oswald did it.

Only because she her mind was being controlled be Barack Obama from the future.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm so old!!! I was a senior in November 1963 when JFK was assassinated. Sitting in Business Law. They let classes out and we all stood outside and listened to live reports over the pa system.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
(01-14-2013 11:53 AM)Born_A_Truman Wrote:  I'm so old!!! I was a senior in November 1963 when JFK was assassinated. Sitting in Business Law. They let classes out and we all stood outside and listened to live reports over the pa system.

1963 was the year I graduated high school. In November I was working a fullll time job and going to school at night. When the news came over the radio that the President had been shot I was far in the back of the warehouse and the only radio was in the foreman's office.

I was in a particularly good mood that morning so when I passed a coworker nicknamed "Tubby" (yes I still remember his nickname but I don't think I ever knew his real name) I made some good-natured wise crack and Tubby cussed me a blue streak and called me every name but American. At the time I had no idea what that was about but figured out later that he must have assumed I had already heard the news about the President and my good mood was out of place.

When I got back to the front of the warehouse everyone was gathered around the foreman's desk. I went in and immediately my heart went to my throat as the news hit me.

When news came that the President had died the company immediately shut down, sent everybody home and told us not to return until after the funeral.

The next several days are a blur of trying to care about eating or sleeping while staying glued to a B&W TV with a lousy picture.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-14-2013, 12:32 PM
One of the Kennedy kids came out this week and said to the press that they think there was more then one shooter. I will see if I can find the news clipping.
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
(01-14-2013 11:53 AM)Born_A_Truman Wrote:  I'm so old!!! I was a senior in November 1963 when JFK was assassinated. Sitting in Business Law. They let classes out and we all stood outside and listened to live reports over the pa system.

Wow to be at that age and experience Kennedy and Dr. King in 68 ( I think ) most have made a tremendous affect on your life.

I wonder if the recent shooting will do the same for the younger generation? Change their way of thinking and not be so selfs absorbed. I hope it allows them to see the bigger picture and help mode a whole new generation.
01-15-2013, 06:36 PM
I think that Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK.
A credible conspiracy theory has to accept the fact that he was the man who shot and killed JFK.
01-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Try living in Dallas for those next few days, pappy.

I was in junior high and one of my classmates was there at the assassination. It was a very depressing time.