Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can Giffords revive gun-control cause?
01-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Can Giffords revive gun-control cause?
Quote:Gabrielle Giffords’ decision this week to help raise money to promote gun control could test the financial limits of her appeal by directly aligning her with an issue that has floundered in politics for decades.

In the months after she was shot in the head on Jan. 8, 2011, a wave of support from sympathetic donors helped the then-congresswoman raise $1 million in campaign contributions, nearly all of which was spent that year. A vaguely centrist political-action committee that bears her name scarcely made a ripple in 2012, raising less than $30,000 since its August debut.

Now Giffords and her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, have created Americans for Responsible Solutions, an organization that includes a “super PAC” that can raise and spend unlimited funds for political messaging as long as it doesn’t coordinate with others.

The move underscores and tries to build on Giffords’ status as perhaps the most visible face of the gun-control movement, which has gained renewed energy since a spate of mass shootings, including the murder last month of 20 elementary-school students and seven adults in Newtown, Conn.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/a...#protected

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-10-2013, 10:31 AM
RE: Can Giffords revive gun-control cause?
I can answer that question in one word......maybe!

I could have said yes except for my lack of confidence in the rest of us (meaning Americans) to get her back.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-10-2013, 07:34 PM
(01-10-2013 10:31 AM)pappy Wrote:  I can answer that question in one word......maybe!

I could have said yes except for my lack of confidence in the rest of us (meaning Americans) to get her back.

I agree with you! It's not up to her but it is up to us, still, I think she might just be the motivation many people need to get involved, at least I hope.

"Understand that the more deeply you hold your ideals,
the more you are morally obligated to be pragmatic...Idealism without pragmatism
is just a way to flatter your ego." -Barney Frank
01-11-2013, 07:46 AM
She's part of the growing movement revived by Sandy Hook. Not all of it, but a spoke in the wheel. It will take a lot of folks and organizations.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Sy8Wkw8RrZ-PS8QwfNa...lWPNPpUA2w]
01-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I just saw this tweet
I didn't even know this was an issue till now:

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Pappy, I think there has been a lot of not realizing what kinds of stuff the NRA and the gun lobby were up to, like the prohibitions mentioned by Rep. Lee.

I doubt most of us knew about the "restoration" movement, to allow felons to get their gun rights back. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/us/fel...html?_r=1&