Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Look how far we have come in 20 years.
01-10-2013, 05:52 AM
Look how far we have come in 20 years.
Below is the cover art from "The New Yorker" magazine, Sept. 13, 1993. The artwork is by Art Spiegelman who recently said this about it on Facebook, "I did this New Yorker cover in 1993. Colombine happened in 1999, Newtown in 2012, nearly 20 years later. My wish for 2013: let Newtown be remembered as the turning point—I'm hoping that kids with guns can become ironic again."

Thanks should go to BUZZFEED and Dangerous Minds for finding this.

[Image: nycovern20ng4f90eq24n.jpg]

No Justice? No Peace!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
RE: Look how far we have come in 20 years.
Wow... can't help but think that if today's conservatives had their way with this country, all we'd be doing is regressing at light speed.
01-10-2013, 09:08 AM
"Now don't play with matches kids! Oh, and don't forget your TEC9 on the night stand - have a nice day at school!"
01-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I can't help but wonder why he paired school children and guns. The comments say there was no article in the magazine related to the pic. It was just something the artist found interesting. Scary is what I'd call it.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
― Carl Sagan
01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
(01-10-2013 09:08 AM)azmouse Wrote:  I can't help but wonder why he paired school children and guns. The comments say there was no article in the magazine related to the pic. It was just something the artist found interesting. Scary is what I'd call it.

I was wondering about that myself so I searched for what was going on related to guns in 1993 and cam up with:

Waco 2/28/93
World Trade Center bombing 2/26/93
Srebrenica Children Massacre April 1993
Brown's Chicken massacre Palatine, Illinois 1/8/93
101 California Street Shootings San Francisco 7/1/93

Those are just the tip of the iceberg (worldwide) but these would have had (probably) the most impact on the mood in the US in 1993.

On the last one I listed WIKI has the following to say:

Quote:101 California Street Shootings was a mass shooting that took place July 1, 1993, in San Francisco, California, claiming the lives of nine people, including the shooter, Gian Luigi Ferri. The killings sparked a number of legal and legislative actions that were precursors to the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, H.R.3355, 103rd Congress (1994). The Act took effect in 1994, and expired on September 13, 2004, through the operation of a sunset provision.

No Justice? No Peace!
01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
That magazine cover is probably framed and hung prominently at NRA headquarters.

"Understand that the more deeply you hold your ideals,
the more you are morally obligated to be pragmatic...Idealism without pragmatism
is just a way to flatter your ego." -Barney Frank