Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Detroit unveils 50 year plan
01-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Detroit unveils 50 year plan
The plan to revitalize the city of Detroit took 2 years to put together and was released to the public on Wednesday.

The AP and Cleveland Plain Dealer reports on the plan.

Quote:DETROIT -- A 50-year blueprint for revitalizing Detroit, from leveling parts of nearly vacant neighborhoods for parks to relaxing rules for startup companies, was released Wednesday after two years of research and community input.

The project was launched by Mayor Dave Bing, who joined dozens of community, business and philanthropic leaders in unveiling the plan for the shrinking and financially troubled city. The 349-page strategic framework focuses on job growth, land use, improving neighborhoods and rebuilding infrastructure.

[....]

A major focus is on Detroit's ramshackle neighborhoods. The city -- which lost a quarter-million people in the last decade -- currently has at least 30,000 empty homes and 20 square miles of vacant land.

Among the report's suggestions are targeting vacant land and empty buildings for employment districts to stimulate job growth in neighborhoods. It also recommends encouraging residents living in sparsely populated neighborhoods to move out, then converting the land into open space or community gardens.

[....]

No Justice? No Peace!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
Detroit unveils 50 year plan #1 - pappy - 01-10-2013, 05:30 AM
RE: Detroit unveils 50 year plan #2 - janedrake - 01-10-2013, 08:50 AM
RE: Detroit unveils 50 year plan #3 - SeattleGirl - 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM
[*]
01-10-2013, 08:50 AM
RE: Detroit unveils 50 year plan
I once watched a strangely fascinating television segment on town and city planning that I had come across while channel checking, so am looking forward to reading over this.
01-10-2013, 09:51 PM
RE: Detroit unveils 50 year plan
Detroit is my heart's sister city, and I would absolutely love to see it come back.

Silence is consent.