Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
POUTRAGE ALERT! Benediction To Be Delivered By Pastor Who Gave Anti-Gay Sermon
01-09-2013, 07:18 PM
POUTRAGE ALERT! Benediction To Be Delivered By Pastor Who Gave Anti-Gay Sermon
(The interwebs are in a fury over this, like they were four years ago when it was Rick Warren who gave the inaugural benediction and how that showed Obama was "anti-gay" and a "bigot" and how this was going thrust Rick Warren into the spotlight and setback gay rights - of course, as we all know, the exact opposite happened and President Obama has done more for the gay community than every other president before him put together, but hey, let's not let that get in the way, let's have a poutrage party!)

The Presidential Inauguration Committee announced Tuesday that the President Obama has selected Pastor Louie Giglio of the Georgia-based Passion City Church to deliver the benediction for his second inauguration. In a mid-1990s sermon identified as Giglio’s, available online on a Christian training website, he preached rabidly anti-LGBT views. The 54-minute sermon, entitled “In Search of a Standard – Christian Response to Homosexuality,” advocates for dangerous “ex-gay” therapy for gay and lesbian people, references a biblical passage often interpreted to require gay people be executed, and impels Christians to “firmly respond to the aggressive agenda” and prevent the “homosexual lifestyle” from becoming accepted in society.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/01/09...ay-pastor/

#NMP
RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-09-2013, 07:23 PM
RE: POUTRAGE ALERT! Benediction To Be Delivered By Pastor Who Gave Anti-Gay Sermon
I so much hope this Pastor comes out (no pun intended) to declare that he was wrong when he said those things in the 90's. Sometimes people evolve.

#NMP
01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
RE: POUTRAGE ALERT! Benediction To Be Delivered By Pastor Who Gave Anti-Gay Sermon
(01-09-2013 07:23 PM)pappy Wrote:  I so much hope this Pastor comes out (no pun intended) to declare that he was wrong when he said those things in the 90's. Sometimes people evolve.

I think that may be a real possibility. People change, attitudes change. This pastor who no one ever heard of until today hopefully is a different person than he was 20 years ago, I know I am - just look how much the American public has evolved when it comes to gay rights in just the past 4 years!

#NMP
RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
He has withdrawn ... I didn't realize it was so long ago. Attitudes do change and evolve and I hope his has too.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Just read that he will not be doing the benediction.. I don't know whether he backed out or they pulled the offer.

Maybe someone working on the committee was not aware of his history..

Thoughtful responses are the first victims of partisan passions.
01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
BREAKING: Anti-Gay Pastor Withdraws From Inaugural Program

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/01/10...l-program/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Good. Now how about one of the Nuns on the Bus?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user