Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10 Ways the Drug War Is Causing Massive Collateral Damage to Our Society
01-09-2013, 10:33 AM
10 Ways the Drug War Is Causing Massive Collateral Damage to Our Society
http://www.alternet.org/10-ways-drug-war...ur-society

From the article:
Quote:The war on drugs is America’s longest war. It has been 40-plus years since Nixon launched our modern “war on drugs” and yet drugs are as plentiful as ever. While the idea that we can have a “drug-free society” is laughable, the disastrous consequences of our drug war are dead serious. While it might not be obvious, the war on drugs touches and destroys so many of the issues we care about and the values we hold. Below are 10 collateral consequences of the drug war and reasons we need to find an exit strategy from this unwinnable war.

The list includes: Racial Injustice; Denied Access to Education, Housing and Benefits; Wasted Taxpayer Dollars; and Shredded Constitutional Rights to name a few. Something isn't right when there's money for bullets, bombs, and prison bars, but none for beds, bread, and treatment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: 10 Ways the Drug War Is Causing Massive Collateral Damage to Our Society
Brewman I hope everyone reads that.. We imprison our population at the highest rate in the world.. and so much of it is over drugs..

It is insane..

Thoughtful responses are the first victims of partisan passions.
01-09-2013, 11:54 AM
(01-09-2013 11:49 AM)Peacetrain Wrote:  Brewman I hope everyone reads that.. We imprison our population at the highest rate in the world.. and so much of it is over drugs..

It is insane..

Thank you. It's sad that we (the US) sometimes has more in common with some 3rd-World despots than the Industrialized World, like our prison population.
01-09-2013, 02:30 PM
(01-09-2013 11:54 AM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 11:49 AM)Peacetrain Wrote:  Brewman I hope everyone reads that.. We imprison our population at the highest rate in the world.. and so much of it is over drugs..

It is insane..

Thank you. It's sad that we (the US) sometimes has more in common with some 3rd-World despots than the Industrialized World, like our prison population.

We not only have it in common .. we lead the way Brewman in despotic actions concerning our citizenry.. ...what we need now is decriminalization of things like marijuana..and treatment for those addicted..we have lost 2 generations to prison, so much so that in some areas it has become a rite of passage. Just sets my hair on fire when I think about it.. and the only thing worse is that three strikes law ..

There is a basic lack of humanity and no common sense in these laws..

01-09-2013, 02:35 PM
(01-09-2013 02:30 PM)Peacetrain Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 11:54 AM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  Thank you. It's sad that we (the US) sometimes has more in common with some 3rd-World despots than the Industrialized World, like our prison population.

We not only have it in common .. we lead the way Brewman in despotic actions concerning our citizenry.. ...what we need now is decriminalization of things like marijuana..and treatment for those addicted..we have lost 2 generations to prison, so much so that in some areas it has become a rite of passage. Just sets my hair on fire when I think about it.. and the only thing worse is that three strikes law ..

We need a "Three Strikes Law" for Congress Critters. Put forward three stupid laws in a row that waste the county's time and you get a time out. Trying to repeal Obamacare 34 times would seem a good example.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
(01-09-2013 02:35 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 02:30 PM)Peacetrain Wrote:  We not only have it in common .. we lead the way Brewman in despotic actions concerning our citizenry.. ...what we need now is decriminalization of things like marijuana..and treatment for those addicted..we have lost 2 generations to prison, so much so that in some areas it has become a rite of passage. Just sets my hair on fire when I think about it.. and the only thing worse is that three strikes law ..

We need a "Three Strikes Law" for Congress Critters. Put forward three stupid laws in a row that waste the county's time and you get a time out. Trying to repeal Obamacare 34 times would seem a good example.

Amen to that!!

01-09-2013, 03:14 PM
(01-09-2013 02:35 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 02:30 PM)Peacetrain Wrote:  We not only have it in common .. we lead the way Brewman in despotic actions concerning our citizenry.. ...what we need now is decriminalization of things like marijuana..and treatment for those addicted..we have lost 2 generations to prison, so much so that in some areas it has become a rite of passage. Just sets my hair on fire when I think about it.. and the only thing worse is that three strikes law ..

Exactly! Timewasting is illegal in most sports, Congress shouldn't be any different.
01-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Yeah but the privitized prison owners/shareholders want 90% occupancy! Gotta give 'em what they want!
01-09-2013, 06:36 PM
(01-09-2013 06:13 PM)Fire1 Wrote:  Yeah but the privitized prison owners/shareholders want 90% occupancy! Gotta give 'em what they want!

Well, I can think of some congress critters, corporate CEO's and banksters they could put in there to meet their occupancy quotas!

Silence is consent.