Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Promoting Hinduism? Parents Demand Removal Of School Yoga Class
01-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Promoting Hinduism? Parents Demand Removal Of School Yoga Class
http://www.npr.org/2013/01/09/168613461/...n=20130109

From the article:
Quote:During first period at Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary School in Encinitas, Calif., Kristen McCloskey leads about two dozen third-graders through some familiar yoga poses.

"All right, so let's do our opening sequence A," she says, instructing the kids. "Everyone take a big inhale, lift those arms up. Look up."

At the end of the half-hour class, 8-year-old Jacob Hagen says he feels energized and ready for the rest of the day. "Because you get to stretch out and it's good to be the first class because it wakes you up," he says.

Schools across the country are focusing more on teaching students to make healthy choices; Encinitas Superintendent Tim Baird says yoga is just one element of the district's physical education curriculum.

"We also have a nutrition program," he says. "We also have a life-skills program where kids learn about perseverance and responsibility."

Here's something healthy for the kids, rather than pumping them full of drugs to keep them quiet. There's always someone that will create a reason to complain. Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
RE: Promoting Hinduism? Parents Demand Removal Of School Yoga Class
Yoga originates in the religions of the East but does not, in and of itself, promote a religious point of view.

Yoga is about awareness of the connections between our minds, bodies and sometimes spirituality.

In western cultures it is most often simply viewed and used for its health benefits.

The people that are against this are religious zealots who are probably also xenophobic and ignorant.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:"They were being taught to thank the sun for their lives and the warmth that it brought, the life that it brought to the earth and they were told to do that right before they did their sun salutation exercises," she says."
Quelle horreur!

I'm so sick-and-tired of this kind of small-mindedness that allows for no exposure to anything new or different, ever. Anything new or different is to be feared -- immediately!
01-09-2013, 10:01 AM
I agree!
Schools shouldn't be allowed to introduce an organized physical activity that promotes a slavish, cult-like, religious mindset in its followers.

Lets ban high school football!

"I'm not a member of any organized party. I'm a Democrat." -Will Rogers
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
RE: I agree!
(01-09-2013 10:01 AM)MilesColtrane Wrote:  Schools shouldn't be allowed to introduce an organized physical activity that promotes a slavish, cult-like, religious mindset in its followers.

Can we keep the cheerleaders?................Hiding

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 12:59 PM
(01-09-2013 11:25 AM)pappy Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 10:01 AM)MilesColtrane Wrote:  Schools shouldn't be allowed to introduce an organized physical activity that promotes a slavish, cult-like, religious mindset in its followers.

Can we keep the cheerleaders?................Hiding

Sure, but we'll have to ban school cafeterias from serving bread and juice because that's promoting Catholicism.

...and we might want to take a look at how they're slicing the hot dogs up for franks 'n beans...could be promoting Judaic circumcision.

"I'm not a member of any organized party. I'm a Democrat." -Will Rogers
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM
(01-09-2013 12:59 PM)MilesColtrane Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 11:25 AM)pappy Wrote:  Can we keep the cheerleaders?................Hiding

Sure, but we'll have to ban school cafeterias from serving bread and juice because that's promoting Catholicism.

...and we might want to take a look at how they're slicing the hot dogs up for franks 'n beans...could be promoting Judaic circumcision.

No school building may ever face Mecca!

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Right on cue comes this story
from Disabled vet loses 140 pounds, inspires others through yoga at NBC News

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 11:50 AM
My late taichi teacher was a fan of yoga. He knew it was very good for body and mind.
01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
The poses in yoga are apparent in every day life. When you wake up in the morning, how many of you stretch your arms up above your head in a last ditch effort of waking yourself up. How many people stretch before a workout? Babies, in an attempt to walk, will plant their little feet on the ground before trying to push themselves up with their hands. How on earth can your faith be threaten by doing this is beyond me?
01-09-2013, 02:11 PM
(01-09-2013 01:59 PM)Myra Wrote:  The poses in yoga are apparent in every day life. When you wake up in the morning, how many of you stretch your arms up above your head in a last ditch effort of waking yourself up. How many people stretch before a workout? Babies, in an attempt to walk, will plant their little feet on the ground before trying to push themselves up with their hands. How on earth can your faith be threaten by doing this is beyond me?

My two pups do the "Downward Dog Pose" everyday before our morning walk.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 05:48 PM
The happy baby yoga pose

[Image: backtoo.jpg]
01-09-2013, 05:58 PM
(01-09-2013 05:48 PM)Myra Wrote:  The happy baby yoga pose

Ooooo...I never tried that one. I know I can still get down on the floor like that, getting up could be an issue though......Shocked

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Next week, the parents objecting to Yoga will go back to circulating their petition for a morning moment of silence for prayer in school.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user