Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moderate Republican group to remove ‘Republican’ from name, welcome Democrats
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Moderate Republican group to remove ‘Republican’ from name, welcome Democrats
The Republican party has shifted so hard right that its own members are leaving This looks like an attempt to try and save what is left of the Republican Party from the Tea Extremists..

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/moder...itics.html

"The Republican Main Street Partnership, a Washington-based group that has promoted moderate GOP lawmakers and policies, will remove the word "Republican" from its title and welcome center-right Democrats in 2013, Yahoo News has learned.

The organization's board of directors voted Tuesday morning to scrap party identification from its title and be known simply as "The Main Street Partnership." The group's new president, former Ohio Republican Rep. Steven LaTourette, told Yahoo News that he plans to begin conversations with Blue Dog Democrats and centrist groups in the coming months.

"The goal is to try and fill the void that is the middle," LaTourette, who resigned from Congress this year, said. "The American political system is like a doughnut: You've got sides, but you don't have anything in the middle, and it would be my goal to work with Republicans and Democrats who want to find the path forward to getting things done and compromise."

Thoughtful responses are the first victims of partisan passions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
RE: Moderate Republican group to remove ‘Republican’ from name, welcome Democrats
LaTourette is only a "moderate" when compared to the likes of Rand Paul, Paul Ryan or Alan West.

I think what he is really up to is stopping a large swing to the left of the American body politic. From the 30's into the Viet Nam years the country's political pendulum was swinging in fits and starts to the left. Beginning with Nixon and then Reagan the pendulum has been going to the right. Now it looks as though that trend is reversing and "moderate" Republicans like LaTourette recognize this and will try different tactics to stop that swing and turn it around.

He is sure to find allies among "Blue Dogs" but I think they are not going to be able to stop the pendulum but they may slow it down.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 11:33 AM
RE: Moderate Republican group to remove ‘Republican’ from name, welcome Democrats
(01-08-2013 04:10 PM)pappy Wrote:  LaTourette is only a "moderate" when compared to the likes of Rand Paul, Paul Ryan or Alan West.

I think what he is really up to is stopping a large swing to the left of the American body politic. From the 30's into the Viet Nam years the country's political pendulum was swinging in fits and starts to the left. Beginning with Nixon and then Reagan the pendulum has been going to the right. Now it looks as though that trend is reversing and "moderate" Republicans like LaTourette recognize this and will try different tactics to stop that swing and turn it around.

He is sure to find allies among "Blue Dogs" but I think they are not going to be able to stop the pendulum but they may slow it down.
Those are my thoughts also ... that the R party is so desperate to try and catch the fleeing moderates who are leaving the party of the delusional..

01-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Quote:LaTourette is only a "moderate" when compared to the likes of Rand Paul, Paul Ryan or Alan West.

Well said, Pappy. "Approach with caution." Interesting news, though.
01-08-2013, 06:50 PM
So this will be a coalition of right leaning Democrats and moderate Republicans? Sounds like the perfect group for Joe Lieberman but I guess he's out (I hope) of politics now.

"Understand that the more deeply you hold your ideals,
the more you are morally obligated to be pragmatic...Idealism without pragmatism
is just a way to flatter your ego." -Barney Frank
01-08-2013, 07:11 PM
(01-08-2013 06:50 PM)PoliticalTiger Wrote:  So this will be a coalition of right leaning Democrats and moderate Republicans? Sounds like the perfect group for Joe Lieberman but I guess he's out (I hope) of politics now.
Maybe Dennis would be interested....roflmao

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 11:34 AM
(01-08-2013 06:50 PM)PoliticalTiger Wrote:  So this will be a coalition of right leaning Democrats and moderate Republicans? Sounds like the perfect group for Joe Lieberman but I guess he's out (I hope) of politics now.

Lieberman..oh my GOD.. the man was our choice for vice president..

01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
One can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
(01-09-2013 11:52 AM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  One can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Enough with the Sarah Palin references!

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
01-09-2013, 12:44 PM
(01-09-2013 12:28 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 11:52 AM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  One can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Enough with the Sarah Palin references!

I'm not sure she'd be welcome, or would want to join. Besides, she was a pitbull with lipstick. Grin
01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
(01-09-2013 12:44 PM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 12:28 PM)pappy Wrote:  Enough with the Sarah Palin references!

I'm not sure she'd be welcome, or would want to join. Besides, she was a pitbull with lipstick. Grin

What do you get when you mix a Pit Bull with a Pig? I am too much of a gentleman to answer but I bet you can guess!

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014