Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Globe piece - Romney's not "sharing" himself reason biggest reason for loss
12-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Globe piece - Romney's not "sharing" himself reason biggest reason for loss
Admittedly, (and a bit guiltily) I can't get enough of post-election schadenfreude vis a vis "why-Romney-lost/Romney-camp-still-shocked-at-loss"-type stories. This is as good a read as any --

Boston Globe: Mitt Romney was hesitant to reveal himself
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2...aign=sm_tw

-- yet I can't resist riffing on the article's many elephants in the room -- starting with the premise that if Romney had only "shared" himself, he would have won the election because voters would have fallen head-over-heels in love with him. Say what?!

Apparently Tagg Romney had a list of "12 people" who were willing to testify to Romney's good works in their lives. Set aside for a moment that Romney has lived a powerful and prosperous life into his 60's and was also governor of MA -- and there are only a mere 12 people on that list. The thing that always struck me about the selection of those who would testify to Romney's good character is that the testimony largely comes from inside the Mormon church. As a bishop in that church, why wouldn't Romney perform his duties towards the congregation? Maybe there were some stories of Romney being kind to someone outside of, or donating to, an organization besides the Mormon church, but I never came across it (his donation to Planned Parenthood, like so much in his life, seemed to be in service to his political ambitions, meaning, his planned run for governor in a blue state). And he certainly turned a blind eye time and again during the campaign at chances to do some good (Sensata, anyone?). It's hard to forget how Romney's fantasy transition website had the nerve to have a banner up saying his first priority was to put Americans back to work, even as he is set to make more millions right now from American jobs being shipped overseas! What's so "he-so-wonderful!" about that?

It seems to me the only good Romney has actually done outside of his family and church circle is healthcare reform in MA - but the more I've read about it, the more it seems apparent that this, too, was done for purely political purposes -- Romney in 2006 could not predict that his "signature achievement" as governor -- which he planned to use in a presidential run -- would backfire on him because of the advent of Tea Party insanity in 2010. (Add to it that as governor, Romney vetoed many passages in the bill which would have weakened the law's effectiveness if the vetoes hadn't been successfully overturned by Dems.)

Another elephant -- the Romney camp still refuses to acknowledge that their candidate presented himself as pathologically dishonest from early on his campaign, and that he never let up on that. Steve Benen's notated "Chronicling Mitt's Mendacity" ran for over 30 editions if I recall correctly. Romney did actually "reveal" himself as glib, dishonest, humorless, egotistical, callous, temperamental, another-entitled-rich-guy, etc. - and voters gagged. That's what no one in his circle wants to acknowledge.

Yet another elephant in the room is the Romney camp's looking at Bush's 2004 win through rose-colored glasses and their complete glossing over of certain disturbing circumstances around that win - mainly that according to a report from CBS News, the Ohio election results were routed through a GOP-aligned server located in Tennessee, and the GOP's technical mastermind was killed in a small-plane crash before he was to give a deposition about his role in the 2004 election. Certainly gives some pause for thought to the Romney people's opining that if they had only done what Bush did in 2004, Romney would have won. Or maybe they really mean that in a more cynical way.

In any case, the "popular wisdom" that's seems to be gelling in GOP circles is that Romney lost because he's a good man who nobly refused to let voters in on what a good man he is. I say, complete and utter balderdash - Pres. Obama pulled back the curtain early on in the campaign for all the world to see what Romney really's about -- and thank goodness he did.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
12-23-2012, 11:20 PM
RE: Globe piece - Romney's not "sharing" himself reason biggest reason for loss
Romney personified the reality of the Republican establishment. Entitled men of inherited wealth, clueless about life for the rest of us, and convinced that a few personal acts of kindness to individuals will make up for their economic policies that harm millions. He would have done better if he had acted like a dumb hick from Texas.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-24-2012, 05:34 AM
(12-23-2012 11:20 PM)Willinois Wrote:  Romney personified the reality of the Republican establishment. Entitled men of inherited wealth, clueless about life for the rest of us, and convinced that a few personal acts of kindness to individuals will make up for their economic policies that harm millions. He would have done better if he had acted like a dumb hick from Texas.

He just proved that hicks can even come from gated communities in many states. Willard is just a greedy hick with a vocabulary.

No Justice? No Peace!
12-24-2012, 08:28 AM
It seems like Romney's Mormonism was a greater deficit in this campaign than one might have thought. But not just because people were wary of Mormons.

When the only instances of doing something charitable or kind to the rest of us, outside your circle of privilege, are within your church, that's a problem. When the only regular folks that you've ever interacted with are those over whom you've been the local leader of the church--that's a problem. As I think we saw whenever Romney tried to strike up a conversation with locals and ended up offending them about their cookies.