Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hillary in 2016?
12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Hillary in 2016?
Quote:The presidency was once described by some historians as a prize, won in one election by this team, in another by that team. The metaphor suggests that elections are discrete and separate from one another and that the stakes aren’t much greater than those encountered on a game show. But that’s not the case anymore. Prize is the wrong metaphor for how we ought to see the presidency today. Now, we ought to see it as an instrument through which progress can either be advanced or retarded, and rather than thinking of each election victory as a prize, we ought to think of each as a step on a continuum.

This will be especially true in 2016, when a Republican victory would put at mortal risk the gains of the Obama years. So the next election will be no time to leave all this to chance—or to Andrew Cuomo or Martin O’Malley or even to Joe Biden. Hillary has to do it. She could handily beat the whole parade of Republicans. They’re children next to her. None of them is even in her weight class except for Jeb Bush, but he seems to me pretty easily disposed of with one question: “Okay, America, you’re being the given the choice to extend either Bill Clinton’s presidency or George W. Bush’s. Which way do you want to go?”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...-2016.html

Right now I'd be fine with a Hillary Clinton presidency in 2016. I'd love for a strong woman to be president in my lifetime.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
Hillary in 2016? #1 - azmouse - 12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
RE: Hillary in 2016? #3 - Willinois - 12-09-2012, 12:03 AM
RE: Hillary in 2016? #4 - azmouse - 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Run Hillary, Run! #5 - kahuna - 12-15-2012, 10:05 AM
RE: Hillary in 2016? #6 - pappy - 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM
RE: Hillary in 2016? #7 - Still a Democrat - 12-15-2012, 02:24 PM
RE: Hillary in 2016? #8 - sandnsea - 12-15-2012, 04:15 PM
[*]
12-08-2012, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 10:40 PM by MilesColtrane.)
At 69 on election day 2016 Hillary will be...
too old for most voters to pull the trigger.

Her gender gives her an advantage in longevity, but there's still the fact that only two Presidents were older at their inauguration.

One died after a month in office and the other lost his mental faculties three years into his term.

"I'm not a member of any organized party. I'm a Democrat." -Will Rogers
12-09-2012, 12:03 AM
RE: Hillary in 2016?
Hillary's biggest base of support has always been in the NYC and DC pundit corps. They spent the last four years pushing articles about how she would replace Biden on the ticket or run against Obama. They claimed she was the clear front-runner through 2007, until people started voting and she finished third in Iowa. She had every advantage in '08 and still lost the nomination. I'll take all the fawning from pundits with a grain of salt.

I saw the Iowa caucus. Hillary's supporters were almost entirely old white people. The Democratic Party needs a bigger coalition than Clinton-era nostalgists. I'm not convinced that promising a third Clinton term is a good selling point either. Obama spent half his first term cleaning up Bill's messes, like DADT, lending deregulation, housing deregulation, failed health care reform, media consolidation, and no action on climate change. Bill gives a good speech but that only goes so far.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Good points all and I can see it could be an uphill battle for her but expect her to run again in 2016. I'd be very surprised if she didn't.

Quote: President Hillary Clinton? New Poll Numbers Say Yes

The Washington Post reported yesterday that the retiring Secretary of State is riding a wave of favorable public opinion that’s at an all-time high. According to a new Washington Post–ABC News poll:

Overall, 57 percent of all Americans say they would back a Clinton candidacy, with support peaking among younger women. Among all women, 66 percent say they would support Clinton as a candidate for president in 2016; it is 75 percent among those under 50 and 54 percent among those aged 50 and up. Forty-nine percent of men back a Clinton bid, regardless of what side of 50 they are on.
<...>

But not to paint too bright a picture, it’s also been noted that presidential politics are a far rougher road than winning approval as a cabinet member. According to a Huffington Post piece:

Election history includes a long list of candidates considered unstoppable until they actually entered the race, and not all of the Americans giving Clinton an early thumbs up are likely to vote for her. Her current backers include not only majorities of Democrats and independents, but nearly a quarter of Republicans.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/12/06/...s-say-yes/

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.”
12-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Run Hillary, Run!
Inasmuch as it is very unlikely, and unusual for party to win two consecutive presidential terms, I do believe that Hillary is the ONLY Democrat who can guarantee we win the White House in 2016. I do not believe that her age will be a hindrance. I believe she would win in a landslide. Run Hillary, Run!!! W00T..W00T!!
12-15-2012, 10:22 AM
(12-15-2012 10:05 AM)kahuna Wrote:  Inasmuch as it is very unlikely, and unusual for party to win two consecutive presidential terms, I do believe that Hillary is the ONLY Democrat who can guarantee we win the White House in 2016. I do not believe that her age will be a hindrance. I believe she would win in a landslide. Run Hillary, Run!!! W00T..W00T!!

I agree that from our viewpoint today Hillary is the most likely and logical choice. She is also the most likely to win. I can and would support her completely.

But 2016 is still a long ways off. In 2004 very few of us would have been convinced that Barack Obama could be a viable candidate in 2008 and yet he won.

My only point is that in our fervor for a Hillary Presidency we keep our minds open to every possibility. There are no guarantees in life and many things can change between now and then.

All that said.........Run Hillary, Run!

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
12-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't know about a guarantee, but she's our best chance.

Is there no way Biden runs?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Sy8Wkw8RrZ-PS8QwfNa...lWPNPpUA2w]
12-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Hillary has more than earned this opportunity. I'm not a Clinton fan, but she's done such a damn fine job as Secy of State, has proven to be a tiger in fighting for women and girls, ended up with her mandate for health care which proves she knew it had to be that way... I'm ready to give her the shot. Can't think of any other people I'd put ahead of her right now.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user