Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
They Can Do That?! 10 Outrageous Tactics Cops Get Away With
12-07-2012, 07:33 AM
http://www.alternet.org/they-can-do-10-o...s-get-away

From the article:
Quote:Talk to someone who has never dealt with the cops about police behaving badly, and he or she will inevitably say, “But they can't do that! Can they?” The question of what the cops can or can't do is natural enough for someone who never deals with cops, especially if their inexperience is due to class and/or race privilege. But a public defender would describe that question as naïve. In short, the cops can do almost anything they want, and often the most maddening tactics are actually completely legal.

There are many reasons for this, but three historical developments stand out: the war on drugs provided the template for social control based on race; 9/11 gave federal and local officials the opportunity to ensnare Muslims (and activists) in the ever-increasing surveillance and incarceration state; and a lack of concern from the public at large means these tactics can be applied, often controversy-free, to anyone who resists them.

They include warrantless home surveillance, preemptive visits and harassment, esp. to activists and protesters, and stop-and-frisk. Law enforcement has few restrictions on its behavior, and fewer consequences when they over-step. Too often these tactics have class and race biases in their application and no oversight. Those who are entrusted to protect and serve too often don't serve the public interest.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
12-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Agree 100 percent. All they need is a dog and they can do what they will. What are the ways a dog alerts? How do you cross exam a canine in court?

How many white guys get pulled over for something and they call the canine unit. I would be will to bet next to none.
12-07-2012, 04:01 PM
RE: They Can Do That?! 10 Outrageous Tactics Cops Get Away With
I did an internship with the St. Louis Public Defender's office on 1985, my 3rd year of law school. I learned that cops lie, a lot, and they're not your friends.

Of course you must always deal with them with the utmost respect but you don't have to tell them anything.