Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill To Lift Debt Ceiling
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill To Lift Debt Ceiling
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) wanted to prove on Thursday that Democrats don’t have the votes to weaken Congress’ authority on the debt limit. Instead they called his bluff, and he ended up filibustering his own bill.

The legislation, modeled on a proposal McConnell offered last year as a “last-choice option” to avert a U.S. debt default, would permit the president to unilaterally lift the debt ceiling unless Congress mustered a two-thirds majority to stop him.

McConnell brought up the legislation Thursday morning. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) initially objected, seemingly proving the Republican leader’s point that it cannot pass the Senate. But then Reid ran it by his members and, in the afternoon, agreed to hold that same vote. This time it was McConnell who objected.

“The Republican leader objects to his own idea,” Reid declared on the floor. “So I guess we have a filibuster of his own bill.”

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/...-limit.php

"Understand that the more deeply you hold your ideals,
the more you are morally obligated to be pragmatic...Idealism without pragmatism
is just a way to flatter your ego." -Barney Frank
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
12-07-2012, 03:09 PM
RE: McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill To Lift Debt Ceiling
That was one of the most hilarious things I ever saw. Chuck Schumer was having hard time not bursting into laughter.

The GOP is bankrupt, absolutely bankrupt. I just wish that statement was financially literal, as well.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does. ~Margaret Mead~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top