Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
S. Carolina Republican US Sen. Jim DeMint resigning to take over Heritage Foundation
12-06-2012, 12:10 PM
S. Carolina Republican US Sen. Jim DeMint resigning to take over Heritage Foundation
By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, December 6, 12:11 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Republican U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint, a favorite among tea party activists who has backed challenges to centrist veterans he didn’t view as conservative enough, said Thursday he was resigning to take the helm of a conservative think tank.

The South Carolina lawmaker said in a statement he was stepping down to become president of the Heritage Foundation. His office said he would take the new job effective Jan. 1.

DeMint was first elected to the Senate in 2004 and easily re-elected six years later. He previously served in the U.S. House of Representatives for three terms.

“I’m leaving the Senate now, but I’m not leaving the fight. I’ve decided to join The Heritage Foundation at a time when the conservative movement needs strong leadership in the battle of ideas,” DeMint said in a statement. DeMint was unavailable for comment, his office said.

... http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/s...story.html

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
S. Carolina Republican US Sen. Jim DeMint resigning to take over Heritage Foundation #1 - There Is No Spoon - 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Here's a good article on this topic #10 - NJMaverick - 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM
[*]
12-06-2012, 02:17 PM
RE: S. Carolina Republican US Sen. Jim DeMint resigning to take over Heritage Foundation
Rather ironic, really. DeMint has whined and bitched about the individual mandate for years, and now, he quits Congress to go lead the organization that invented the individual mandate!

"Understand that the more deeply you hold your ideals,
the more you are morally obligated to be pragmatic...Idealism without pragmatism
is just a way to flatter your ego." -Barney Frank
12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
His leaving just chokes me up. Don't know if I'll get over it.
[Image: 100104315.gif] [Image: 10FEE319.gif] [Image: 1dancing_1.gif]

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.”
12-06-2012, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 03:33 PM by pappy.)
RE: S. Carolina Republican US Sen. Jim DeMint resigning to take over Heritage Foundation
(12-06-2012 03:07 PM)azmouse Wrote:  [Image: 100104315.gif] [Image: 10FEE319.gif] [Image: 1dancing_1.gif]

Be careful what you wish for. I saw a list of possible replacements that Gov. Nikki Haley has to pick from over at Think Progress and it isn't a very promising bunch. She could even appoint herself.

edited to add link:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/1...he-senate/

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
12-07-2012, 08:10 AM
(12-06-2012 03:31 PM)pappy Wrote:  Be careful what you wish for. I saw a list of possible replacements that Gov. Nikki Haley has to pick from over at Think Progress and it isn't a very promising bunch. She could even appoint herself.

edited to add link:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/1...he-senate/

Holy moly!!! What the hell is going on in SC??? They've got a bigger pack of available crazies than AZ.
I wonder what the chances are of a Democrat beating any of them in the next election since the Republican would be new to the seat, especially if the highly unpopular gov made herself Senator.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.”
12-06-2012, 11:24 PM
He sees the writing on the wall.
He knows the GOP has tired of the Tea Party and will shun them like the crazy little brother chained up in the attic.

"I'm not a member of any organized party. I'm a Democrat." -Will Rogers
12-07-2012, 09:11 AM
RE: SC Republican US Sen. Jim DeMint resigning to take over Heritage Foundation
I would say one less teabagger fouling the Congress, but it looks like Gov. Haley has more teabaggers to choose from to take his place. Rolleyes
12-07-2012, 10:05 AM
SC:

too large to be an insane asylum, too small to be a country.

DeMint is fatuous; but, those others are no better.
12-07-2012, 11:51 AM
It would seem the tea party is falling apart. It's just a matter of time before its just a part of five mins. In history.
12-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Here's a good article on this topic
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/rich...-dark-side

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin
12-07-2012, 03:13 PM
NJM

That article accurately describes how the system works.

From 'service' to influence peddling.
12-08-2012, 08:48 AM
It would be interesting to know why DeMint is really quitting, because most of the explanations don't make much sense, unless he plans a presidential run in 2016.

As for the rest of the crazed Tea Partiers, they will have far less campaign cash and influence to funnel to other Tea Party candidates around the country than DeMint. It's good for Democratic candidates all over the country to have him gone.
12-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Suzie, this 'tea party' thing is about played out.
For a short time, the most conservative faction of the GOP had a day in the sun. Their views got a lot of publicity, and, at the state level, got some laws passed.

This faction ( to a large extent, the old 'Dixiecrat s') is strong in the GOP ( the moderate wing is much weaker than in the past); this faction got a lot of publicity, money and a name.