Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dave Brubeck, Jazz Great, Dead at 91
12-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Dave Brubeck, Jazz Great, Dead at 91
No more Christmas music for me. Jazz will be played all season long.

RIP to a music great.

Quote:Jazz composer and pianist Dave Brubeck, whose pioneering style in pieces such as "Take Five" caught listeners' ears with exotic, challenging rhythms, has died. He was 91.

Brubeck died Wednesday morning of heart failure after being stricken while on his way to a cardiology appointment with his son Darius, said his manager Russell Gloyd.

Brubeck had a career that spanned almost all American jazz since World War II. He formed The Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1951 and was the first modern jazz musician to be pictured on the cover of Time magazine — on Nov. 8, 1954 — and he helped define the swinging, smoky rhythms of 1950s and '60s club jazz.

The seminal album "Time Out," released by the quartet in 1959, was the first ever million-selling jazz LP, and is still among the best-selling jazz albums of all time. It opens with "Blue Rondo a la Turk" in 9/8 time — nine beats to the measure instead of the customary two, three or four beats.

http://todayentertainment.today.com/_new...at-91?lite

http://youtu.be/faJE92phKzI

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
RE: Dave Brubeck, Jazz Great, Dead at 91
See if it works this time.

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
12-06-2012, 12:10 PM
(12-06-2012 11:06 AM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  See if it works this time.

Good so far. Thanks.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
12-06-2012, 01:39 PM
BTW, my dad was into Jazz and Brubeck at the time so I often heard his music growing up. I consider his Time Out album to be a classic "must own" album.