This list comes from Huffpost Politics.
I'll just list the headlines here but the ideas are fleshed out at the link.
Quote:1. Prison Reform. (Current cost $68 billion @ year)
2. End the Drug War. (Current cost $15 bnillion @ year)
3. Let Medicare Negotiate With Big Pharma. (Currently $50 billion @ year)
4. Offshore Tax Havens. (Currently costs $100 billion)
5. De-privatize Government Contract Work. (Contract workers cost roughly twice that of federal workers)
6. Print More Money. (Would increase inflation but could be held to a still modest 5%)
7. Print Less Money. (Switch to $1 coins and stop printing singles saving roughly $4.4 billion over 10 years)
8. Immigration: Less Detention, More Ankle Bracelets. (Currently detention costs $122 @ day per person, Bracelets $15 @ day)
9. Financial Speculation Tax. (.25 percent tax on trades equals @150 billion @ year)
10. Carbon Tax. ($80 billion @ year now and possibly $310 billion @ year in 2050)