Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good for Stephanie
11-29-2012, 05:54 AM
Good for Stephanie
The following just appeared on Facebook and I thought I would share it here.

Quote:Statement of Stephanie Miller

Monday on my Current TV program Talking Liberally, broadcast simultaneously on my national radio program, The Stephanie Miller Show, I announced that my friend and colleague Bill Press and I were launching a three-week competition to raise money for the Salvation Army to help Americans in need.

This was in conjunction with an advertising buy by the Salvation Army on Current TV. We all thought that we were doing something positive in the spirit of the holiday season.

Where I screwed up was in not doing more research about the Salvation Army's long and checkered history involving LGBTQ people and our issues. I sincerely apologize for that.

When I returned from the Thanksgiving holiday, I learned a lot more -- much of of it from friends like John Aravosis at AmericaBlog and Michelangelo Signorile at Sirius OutQ -- and I decided that, effective immediately, Talking Liberally and The Stephanie Miller Show would no longer be a part of the Salvation Army's Online Red Kettle Campaign.

Please understand that I do believe the Salvation Army does much good work in the world and I also believe in redemption. I sincerely hope they will change their mission statement and policies regarding the LGBTQ community and I am very willing to continue that dialogue with them.

Through yesterday, your generosity has raised $1,150 for the Salvation Army in the Stephanie Miller Red Kettle.
I am now going to personally match that amount with a donation to the Trevor Project, whose work and mission I can endorse without any reservation. The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ youth.

As always, I am grateful to my viewers and listeners for holding me to the high standards that I always try to set for myself.

Love,
Stephanie

I have always supported the SA and their work but I was never aware that they even had a stance on social or civil rights issues and the LGBT community. Now that I am aware I will have to rethink financially supporting them. Perhaps I will carry notes with me to drop in their kettles. Something along the lines of, "I am praying that the Salvation Army will rethink your stance of LGBT civil rights issues so that I can once again contribute financially to your organization."

GOTV in 2014
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
Good for Stephanie #1 - pappy - 11-29-2012, 05:54 AM
RE: Good for Stephanie #2 - azmouse - 11-29-2012, 08:11 AM
[*]
11-29-2012, 08:11 AM
RE: Good for Stephanie
I won't give any money to the SA this year. I like your idea of putting a note in the kettle stating why and hoping they will rethink their stance on gay rights. If we don't tell them why we won't donate they won't know they have a chance to do the right thing to get our money.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top