Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Walmart Heiress Stands with Workers on Black Friday Strike
11-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Walmart Heiress Stands with Workers on Black Friday Strike
Walmart heiress Alice Walton is taking a stand for striking Walmart workers, whom she credits as the source of her families’ fortune. Calling Walmart’s poor treatment of its workers and crass commercialization of the holidays the “black mark of shame”, she is also asking Americans to stay home with their families on Thanskgiving rather than go shopping, so that Walmart workers do not have to ruin their holiday by coming in early to prepare the stores for opening Thanksgiving evening.

Ms. Walton, the daughter of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton and Helen Walton, is the Chair of the Board of Directors of the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, which will be closed on Black Friday out of solidarity with the workers. She was also recognized by Time Magazine as one of the world’s most influential people in 2012, and is #8 on Forbes’ list of the richest people in United States, closely following the Koch brothers.

Ms. Walton explained in a statement, “Since Black Friday is the unofficial start of the Christmas season, and this is the season of giving, I and the staff of Crystal Bridges have decided to stand with the workers of Walmart, the source of my family’s fortune, in their Black Friday strikes, walkouts, and pickets. I recognize this may come as a surprise to both Walmart workers and the American public. I have always assumed these hard-working men and women were being treated well, paid well, and being compensated with proper health benefits and vacation time. On this holiday, I give thanks for the fortune I inherited and for all the workers who earned it for me. They deserve to share its benefits. I was shocked to the point of disbelief when I first learned of the working conditions these decent Americans endure at the company that bears our family’s name. As a Walton, I cannot stomach the thought of our employees working for poverty wages, without sufficient healthcare, on a permanent part-time basis, or under threat of harassment, retaliation, or termination for organizing in their workplace. The workers of Walmart deserve better.”

“However, Walmart’s hostile battle against its own workers and their attempts to organize their workplace, improve working conditions, and earn a living wage, is not the only reason to stay home on Thanksgiving and on Black Friday. In the race to profit from cash-strapped deal-seekers desperate to save a buck, Walmart is now asking its employees to report to work in the middle of the Thanksgiving holiday in order to open stores that evening. This poor treatment of workers and crass commercialization of the holiday stamps ‘Black Friday’ with a whole new meaning: the black mark of shame.”

Link: http://www.politicususa.com/walmart-heir...trike.html

Silence is consent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-22-2012, 08:29 PM
RE: Walmart Heiress Stands with Workers on Black Friday Strike
This turned out to be a hoax. Sad

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
11-22-2012, 08:42 PM
(11-22-2012 08:29 PM)Born_A_Truman Wrote:  This turned out to be a hoax. Sad

Well THAT pisses me off! Angryfire

Silence is consent.
11-22-2012, 10:42 PM
(11-22-2012 08:42 PM)SeattleGirl Wrote:  
(11-22-2012 08:29 PM)Born_A_Truman Wrote:  This turned out to be a hoax. Sad

Well THAT pisses me off! Angryfire

I posted it early this morning on Facebook, I was soooo happy, what a great Thanksgiving!! Then pretty soon the link had changed and a Walmart Bully blog post was in its place. That's when we found out it was a hoax. But it required the museum to actually release a statement on Thanksgiving Day that, indeed, no they didn't give a crap about millions of workers having poverty wages and working on holidays so they could keep scraping in the piles of dough. Sad, but it sure leaves no doubt as to what kind of scum these people are.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-23-2012, 06:21 AM
Folks, I truly apologize for posting this. I had no idea it was a hoax.

I'm really sorry.

Silence is consent.
11-23-2012, 09:08 AM
(11-23-2012 06:21 AM)SeattleGirl Wrote:  Folks, I truly apologize for posting this. I had no idea it was a hoax.

I'm really sorry.

I didn't either until I clicked the link yesterday on FB and kept getting a different story so I did a search and found the hoax story. No apology needed. Politicususa should have put something on their web site IMO as well. If they did, I couldn't find it.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama