Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
A chat with Al Gore on carbon taxes, natural gas, and hope.
11-20-2012, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 01:57 PM by Willinois.)
A chat with Al Gore on carbon taxes, natural gas, and hope.
I like Al Gore. I like reading David Roberts at Grist. Roberts interviewing Gore lived up to my expectations.

They cover big topics. Most of all, I like Gore's optimism. It's refreshing.

He addressed the regressive nature of a carbon tax, which concerns me too.

Quote:Q. Does this idea of a carbon/income tax swap make you nervous? The income tax is one of the only places we have progressivity in the U.S. tax code.

A. I have not proposed doing it on the income tax, I have proposed doing it on the payroll tax. I am also friendly to the notion of a rebate scheme, though I doubt they’ll do that. It needs to be progressive — the rising inequality in the country is too serious to run the risk of worsening that.

They talked a little about the years of hate directed at Gore to neutralize him as a powerful voice for action.

Quote:Q. Do you worry that you getting out in front of this might brand it in a certain way —

A. Well, they come after anybody who speaks up in favor of doing something on climate. It’s not going to surprise any of them that I’m in favor of it. I’ve said it on practically a daily basis for years and years.

Q. One thing that pops up every time you enter this debate is this notion that you’ve made a bunch of money off your green investments. I remember you saying to Congress that you’ve donated that money to your climate group.

A. I have. The question was about Kleiner Perkins [a venture-capital firm in which Gore is an investment partner]. I have given, and do give, every year, 100 percent of my salary and 100 percent of distributions from Kleiner Perkins to the Climate Reality Project. There is absolutely no income of any sort from Kleiner Perkins that I do not give completely and totally to the Climate Reality Project.

Gore makes a great point that anyone who emerges as a visible leader will be attacked. The environmental movement needs to accept this and grow some backbone about defending it's leaders. James Hansen has been attacked. Bill McKibbin will be attacked more now that he's becoming a major voice in the climate change movement. Backing away from anyone who becomes controversial, like Gore, is a losing strategy that will leave the movement with no visible spokespersons.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
RE: A chat with Al Gore on carbon taxes, natural gas, and hope.
Bookmarked. Thank you, Willnois. Had the honor of attending Al Gore's appearances here in NY in the early 2000's. Looking forward to reading through this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top