Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
World Bank: Climate Change devastating to developing nations
11-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Al Gore linked to this story and it's getting a lot of attention. It's frightening and well worth reading.

World Bank fears devastating 4.0 degree warming

Quote:"The World Bank warned that global temperatures could rise by four degrees this century without immediate action, with potentially devastating consequences for coastal cities and the poor. Issuing a call for action, the World Bank tied the future wealth of the planet -- and especially developing regions -- to immediate efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions from sources such as energy production."

"The time is very, very short. The world has to tackle the problem of climate change more aggressively," World Bank President Jim Yong Kim said on a conference call as he launched a report conducted for the global lender."

"We will never end poverty if we don't tackle climate change. It is one of the single biggest challenges to social justice today."

The typical argument from the coal industry is that the developing world needs coal to develop their economy and they'll switch to clean energy down the road. This World Bank report suggests that would have deadly consequences, and create even more poverty.

Besides, America isn't the only nation that wants some degree of energy independence. Developing nations won't get energy independence by relying on coal imported from other nations. They'll get it by harvesting the wind and sun within their own borders.

Hopefully this report also means an end to the World Bank funding coal plants. There are quotes from the new World Bank President appointed by Obama. It sounds like he made a good choice.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Guess who will collect the carbon tax
Find all posts by this user
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
RE: World Bank: Climate Change devastating to developing nations
(11-19-2012 04:41 PM)72ptheriot Wrote:  Guess who will collect the carbon tax

Not the World Bank, if there was a carbon tax, which there won't be. Save the conspiracy theories for the Fox News crowd.
11-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Romney mocked climate change, he think it's funny.
11-19-2012, 07:54 PM
On everything I am reading on a global carbon tax the world banks are involved http://m.smh.com.au/environment/climate-...1kqg8.html
11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
(11-19-2012 07:54 PM)72ptheriot Wrote:  On everything I am reading on a global carbon tax the world banks are involved http://m.smh.com.au/environment/climate-...1kqg8.html

Your link says they're proposing that some nations create the tax. That doesn't mean the World Bank would collect it or benefit from it.

Don't peddle that bullshit here about climate change being a conspiracy by governments to raise taxes and control the world. It's for idiots and talk radio cult followers.
11-19-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't think Obama want a carbon tax but there is a push for it from many side including Al Gore.
11-19-2012, 08:16 PM
That's not at all what is was saying. There will be people trying to profit off this tax. Never did I say global warming was a conspiracy. I live in hurricane ally and have seen first hand the ever increasing storms. On the other hand I don't trust large banks and corporations that spend millions on our elections.