Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I never ate a Twinkie, and now I guess I never will
11-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Shrug I grew up near Philadelphia and we ate TastyKake.

Quote:Adieu, Twinkies, at least for now. Hostess Brands said Friday it has asked a court's OK to liquidate the company, spelling the possible end for the iconic, yellow, cream-filled delight.

The move shuts down one of the nation's oldest and largest producers of baked goods. Founded in 1930, it produces such well-known brands, aside from Twinkies, as Ding-Dongs, Ho Ho's, Sno Balls and Donettes, not to mention Wonder bread, which the company says is the best-selling white bread in the United States.

In a statement, Hostess said its bakery operations have been suspended at all plants and that it would lay off most of its 18,500 workers to focus on selling its assets. It said it has filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court seeking permission to close its business and sell its assets, including 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/hostess-...-1C7112898

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Not exactly a loss for mankind
They were more pop culture reference than good eating.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin
11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
RE: I never ate a Twinkie, and now I guess I never will
Twinkies were my dad's favorite. Hostess makes the best junk food, cupcakes, ding dongs, and those raspberry coconut cakes, and snowballs, OMG, snowballs!

That said, I haven't eaten this crap in at least ten years. I've never fed it to my grandchildren, and I don't think my kids have either. I can't remember one of them saying they want a Ding Dong or Twinkie. It's crap and we don't feed it to them. I don't think my step-son gives them to his kids either, and he's not a health fanatic. We all try to do better, even subconsciously I guess. They get granola bars, fruit roll-ups, whole grain cookies & muffins, stuff like that.

But even with that, I would be this has more to do with it being owned by hedge funds than anything else. The executives have doubled and tripled their salaries, but they can't pay their workers union wages? Nonsense. I think the bankruptcy judge needs to tell the hedge funds tough-patootie. Nobody promised them an income for nothing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2012, 02:26 PM
I loved Twinkies in my lunch as a kid--because I didn't eat chocolate. Most around me ate snowballs--with that springy, spongy frosting--you're correct, SNS, they were OMG!

Our grandkids don't eat ding-dongs, but they eat Pop Tarts and a zillion sodas or sugary energy drinks.
11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Snowballs!! Paul and I were talking about them a few weeks ago and I found them at our market and bought him a package.

BTW, Hostess got Bained by their venture capital owners.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
11-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Bail out please.
11-16-2012, 06:42 PM
(11-16-2012 05:43 PM)72ptheriot Wrote:  Bail out please.

They expect to sell the product names and recipes to other food companies. Nabisco or somebody like that will buy them up. The best of these products probably won't disappear. Twinkies haven't been produced since last year though. I think they believe they have to have a mass market or no market. It's kind of silly for me to think somebody can't make money off of Twinkies, even with a reduced demand.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Bail out please.
11-16-2012, 07:16 PM
I liked them when I was a kid, but I haven't had one in years.

But some people are taking the news really bad: From ABC News: "Retailing in NY for $4.29 for a box of ten Twinkies, one eBay seller sold a box for $59.99. Other boxes were on sale for $100 or more."

$60 for a box of Twinkies? Facepalm

"Understand that the more deeply you hold your ideals,
the more you are morally obligated to be pragmatic...Idealism without pragmatism
is just a way to flatter your ego." -Barney Frank
11-16-2012, 07:20 PM
(11-16-2012 07:16 PM)PoliticalTiger Wrote:  I liked them when I was a kid, but I haven't had one in years.

But some people are taking the news really bad: From ABC News: "Retailing in NY for $4.29 for a box of ten Twinkies, one eBay seller sold a box for $59.99. Other boxes were on sale for $100 or more."

Dear American People:

Please get a life.

Sincerely,

Me

Silence is consent.
11-17-2012, 10:56 AM
(11-16-2012 07:16 PM)PoliticalTiger Wrote:  I liked them when I was a kid, but I haven't had one in years.

I have a suspicion Woody Harrelson is buying them up for when the zombie apocalypse happens.

[Image: zombi-smiley.gif]

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
11-18-2012, 01:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 01:33 AM by MilesColtrane.)
"$60 for a box of Twinkies?"
It's probably a good investment.

They can be resold in 10 years for triple their value.

The half-life on those puppies has to be at least 25 years.

"I'm not a member of any organized party. I'm a Democrat." -Will Rogers
11-18-2012, 08:08 AM
(11-18-2012 01:15 AM)MilesColtrane Wrote:  It's probably a good investment.

They can be resold in 10 years for triple their value.

The half-life on those puppies has to be at least 25 years.
I refuse to believe that the people who would buy Twinkies @ $60 a box would keep them around for 10 days much less 10 years. The only investment they are interested in is satisfying their sugar addiction.

GOTV in 2014
11-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Twinkies aside, how does a company with the best-selling white bread in the United States just go under? Weird.

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous