Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why the social safety net in the US is in tatters
11-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Why the social safety net in the US is in tatters
A friend has posted that her family requires gov't assistance. This is a response and is an actual Facebook post:
Quote:There is a difference between needing the assistance like you do and the people that have decided using the system is their way of life to get free stuff. A while back I had a man approach me in the store. He wanted me to use his EBT card at the check out and give him the cash so he could go buy cigarrettes. I feel that my tax dollars need to go to people like you, a family that is working but the ends are just not meeting. Not people who abuse the system so that everyone gets stereotyped. Go get your milk girl!!! You are doing the right thing.

I am one of "those people" that just wants free stuff. Those I know on the rabid racist RW would likely make an exception for me because I am a familiar face. Why should certain people get assistance and others not get assistance? The political right is very territorial and can find it in their selfish, willfully ignorant self-serving hearts to make exceptions for certain people. IMO, that territorial quality is one of the reasons that demographic minorities vote republican, even though most republicans do not like or respect them, but I digress.

The US social safety net is in tatters and there's no great impetus to fix it. It is at the bottom of the list industrialized nations that we claim to be #1 in. Anecdotes like the above, and the "I hate gov't because it takes my money" sentiments are amongst the reasons that there's not much of a social safety net. That's sad that there's always money for bullets and bombs and prison bars, not so much for books and bread.

Like the T-shirt says, Justice is when there's plenty money for books and the Pentagon has to hold a bake sale to raise money.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]