Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
America: Love It Or Be Left Behind
11-12-2012, 11:00 AM
America: Love It Or Be Left Behind
http://www.alternet.org/election-2012/am...eft-behind

From the article:
Quote:The most delusional and divisive claim about President Obama’s election victory came, not surprisingly, from the disgraced Karl Rove, who told Fox News on Thursday that Obama “succeeded by suppressing the vote.” Make no mistake: Rove was talking about the white vote. Earlier that day Real Clear Politics writer Sean Trende had written a piece wondering about “disappearing” white voters, claiming white voter turnout had dropped significantly, by roughly 7 million votes, as whites rejected both parties. Since blacks, Latinos and Asians increased their turnout, as did women and young people, Rove couldn’t be talking about anybody but whites, and particularly older white men.

A quick reality check: Republican pollster Bill McInturff immediately debunked claims of disappearing voters of any color, reminding analysts that as always two days after a presidential election, many votes remained to be counted. The Thursday after the 2008 contest only 58% of the electorate had “turned out;” turnout climbed a bit above 62 percent when all the votes were tallied. In the end, turnout may be down this year, and it may well be mainly among whites, perhaps because of Hurricane Sandy. But to call that voter “suppression,” in the face of genuine voter suppression efforts by Rove’s own party – shortening early voting periods, attempts at repressive voter ID laws – is just another example of the shameless capacity to degrade, project and flat-out lie that is Turd Blossom’s singular political brand – a brand that has, God willing, been terminally tarnished.

But Rove’s wail about “suppressed” white voters reflects his party’s broader outrage that the supposed “permanent Republican majority” he tried to build on the back of Kevin Phillips’s “emerging Republican majority” of the late 60s – the one that used racial appeals to make whites, especially the white working class, its cornerstone – no longer exists. Whites only made up 72 percent of the 2012 vote, down from 77 percent in 2010, and even Romney’s 59 percent of white voters, up from John McCain’s 57 percent, couldn’t make him president anymore.

The GOP is on its way to irrelevancy. The racists are stuck in the past. If they don't want to join the rest of us, and they're welcome to come join us in the 21st Century, they can get in their time machines and go back to the past, the "good ol' days" they want so desperately.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
RE: America: Love It Or Be Left Behind
I think that's going to take a while. I heard Tom Joyner read a message from a listener saying, they saw a bumper sticker that read, "If I had known this was going to happen, I would have picked my own cotton!" He also mentioned that in some state in the south (Georgia, maybe?) repugs are flying the flag upside down.
11-12-2012, 02:24 PM
If they want high voter turnout for the white vote, let Oregon show them how. Vote By Mail. 81%.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Oregon-voter-tur...09741.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2012, 04:17 PM
(11-12-2012 02:24 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  If they want high voter turnout for the white vote, let Oregon show them how. Vote By Mail. 81%.

Perfect for the "Archie Bunker" voter. Never have to get their arse out of the Lazy Boy. Just give the completed ballot to "Edith" and make her take it down to the post office.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
11-12-2012, 04:39 PM
(11-12-2012 04:17 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 02:24 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  If they want high voter turnout for the white vote, let Oregon show them how. Vote By Mail. 81%.

Perfect for the "Archie Bunker" voter. Never have to get their arse out of the Lazy Boy. Just give the completed ballot to "Edith" and make her take it down to the post office.

lol. I think it turns out that "When Democrats Vote, Democrats Win". I suspect Edith votes and doesn't remind Archie.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user