Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Picking John Kerry to fill the SoS position would be the worst possible choice IMO
11-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Picking John Kerry to fill the SoS position would be the worst possible choice IMO
Does anybody REALLY want to see Republican Scott Brown win a special election so close to Obama's historic reelection? Who thinks it would be fun to watch the Republicans be given a free ticket to pick themselves up off the mat after we've barely finished celebrating? Momentum? Mandate? One seat in the Senate? Not sure we're ready to give all this up just yet. In my opinion, picking Kerry for SoS would be a really bad decision at this time.

Opinions? Better alternative? Susan Rice has been mentioned. Heck, even Huntsman would be a better pick IMO if we're going to start down this "bipartisan" path again. BTW, Republicans aren't ready for bipartisanship still, so if we start down this path we're simply going to get burned again. Badly.

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
Picking John Kerry to fill the SoS position would be the worst possible choice IMO #1 - There Is No Spoon - 11-12-2012, 09:27 AM
[*]
11-12-2012, 10:33 AM
RE: Picking John Kerry to fill the SoS position would be the worst possible choice IMO
(11-12-2012 09:27 AM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  Does anybody REALLY want to see Republican Scott Brown win a special election so close to Obama's historic reelection? Who thinks it would be fun to watch the Republicans be given a free ticket to pick themselves up off the mat after we've barely finished celebrating? Momentum? Mandate? One seat in the Senate? Not sure we're ready to give all this up just yet. In my opinion, picking Kerry for SoS would be a really bad decision at this time.

Opinions? Better alternative? Susan Rice has been mentioned. Heck, even Huntsman would be a better pick IMO if we're going to start down this "bipartisan" path again. BTW, Republicans aren't ready for bipartisanship still, so if we start down this path we're simply going to get burned again. Badly.

I agree 100%. And with Benghazi on the radar, Susan Rice won't get through the Senate confirmation and only be used as a way to score points for the GOP.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
RE: Picking John Kerry to fill the SoS position would be the worst possible choice IMO
Mass Dems will have to put some thought into picking the best candidate who can win on short notice.

This post inspired me to check out how close the results were. Warren got nearly 54%. That's pretty healthy so a good candidate can beat Brown. I also noticed that only one poll predicted Warren winning by that much. Most of them never showed her getting over 50%. It's a reminder that state-level polls at best only give us a very general idea of where any race is at.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/...-2093.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Obama just met with Deval Patrick. Maybe he asked him if he'd run. I don't think Scott Brown is a threat in Mass anymore. Who wants to put money up for someone who was just trounced? There are plenty of MA Dems who can run even better than Elizabeth Warren. I think Kerry is a pretty low risk appointment in that regard, would sail through confirmation hearings, and then would be a punching bag for the next 4 years which is the key reason I would think twice if I were Obama. No bipartisan crap either. Tom Donilon, current NSA, might be the smartest choice.
11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
(11-12-2012 12:47 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  Obama just met with Deval Patrick. Maybe he asked him if he'd run. I don't think Scott Brown is a threat in Mass anymore. Who wants to put money up for someone who was just trounced? There are plenty of MA Dems who can run even better than Elizabeth Warren. I think Kerry is a pretty low risk appointment in that regard, would sail through confirmation hearings, and then would be a punching bag for the next 4 years which is the key reason I would think twice if I were Obama. No bipartisan crap either. Tom Donilon, current NSA, might be the smartest choice.

Yeah, I neglected to mention Donilon only because I don't know much about him.

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
11-12-2012, 03:55 PM
(11-12-2012 03:37 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 12:47 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  Obama just met with Deval Patrick. Maybe he asked him if he'd run. I don't think Scott Brown is a threat in Mass anymore. Who wants to put money up for someone who was just trounced? There are plenty of MA Dems who can run even better than Elizabeth Warren. I think Kerry is a pretty low risk appointment in that regard, would sail through confirmation hearings, and then would be a punching bag for the next 4 years which is the key reason I would think twice if I were Obama. No bipartisan crap either. Tom Donilon, current NSA, might be the smartest choice.

Yeah, I neglected to mention Donilon only because I don't know much about him.

I just knew he'd been around forever. Read a bit more and found out his brother is counsel to Biden and his wife is Jill Biden's Chief of Staff.

Funny thought, Bill Clinton for Secretary of State. And the crowd (whole entire planet) GOES WILD!!!
11-12-2012, 12:56 PM
I like everything I've heard from Susan Rice, and there's no shortage of other excellent candidates. From an environmental perspective, I suspect Kerry would handle the Keystone pipeline issue much better than the mess Hillary made with that little scandal.
11-12-2012, 01:47 PM
(11-12-2012 12:56 PM)Willinois Wrote:  I like everything I've heard from Susan Rice, and there's no shortage of other excellent candidates. From an environmental perspective, I suspect Kerry would handle the Keystone pipeline issue much better than the mess Hillary made with that little scandal.

I love Susan Rice. I'd prefer Kerry over her, but she's great. This Benghazi stuff is ridiculous, maybe Obama will appoint her and let her show the Senate how uninformed and partisan the attacks have been.
11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I think Kerry is a good pick for SOS but it's not worth losing a seat and I think that's just what would happen. I don't think Patrick could beat Scott Brown.
11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
(11-12-2012 01:00 PM)Fire1 Wrote:  I think Kerry is a good pick for SOS but it's not worth losing a seat and I think that's just what would happen. I don't think Patrick could beat Scott Brown.
Has Patrick said he wish to be the senator for MA? If so, he would be a great senator.
Has Brown said he would run again? Why are people assuming he would run again. I would think one humiliation is enough for him.
11-12-2012, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 05:08 PM by Fire1.)
(11-12-2012 01:33 PM)achieve Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 01:00 PM)Fire1 Wrote:  I think Kerry is a good pick for SOS but it's not worth losing a seat and I think that's just what would happen. I don't think Patrick could beat Scott Brown.
Has Patrick said he wish to be the senator for MA? If so, he would be a great senator.
Has Brown said he would run again? Why are people assuming he would run again. I would think one humiliation is enough for him.
Everybody is just brainstorming here. All speculation. The same thing the pundits do. That's the whole point of a discussion board.
11-12-2012, 01:30 PM
(11-12-2012 09:27 AM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  Opinions? Better alternative? Susan Rice has been mentioned. Heck, even Huntsman would be a better pick IMO if we're going to start down this "bipartisan" path again. BTW, Republicans aren't ready for bipartisanship still, so if we start down this path we're simply going to get burned again. Badly.

Hell no, not Huntsman. I want to see Democrats in President Obama's cabinet.
11-12-2012, 02:22 PM
You really have to give it to the GOP in how robust they are in their shamelessness. Condoleeza Rice presided over 9/11 as National Security Advisor and was promoted to Sec. of State afterwards, and all the while was a chief cheerleader for invading Iraq Yet, Republicans see her as a hero, and want to run her in 2016. When it comes to Susan Rice, although there has been no evidence of any wrong-doing on her part, they're ready to flay her alive in the name of politicizing the Benghazi tragedy. This is why I've come to largely detest the GOP.
11-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Obama May Tap Kerry as Defense Secretary

President Obama is considering asking Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) to serve as his next defense secretary, the Washington Post reports.

"Although Kerry is thought to covet the job of secretary of state, senior administration officials familiar with the transition planning said that nomination will almost certainly go to Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations."

Meanwhile, counterterrorism adviser John Brennan is a leading contender for the CIA job vacated by David Petraeus if he wants it.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/1...qus_thread

BangheadBangheadBangheadBangheadBangheadBangheadBangheadBanghead

Go to the link and read the comments - the only person who thinks giving Kerry's Senate seat to Scott Brown is a good idea is a Republican poster.

11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
So McCain started in on Rice today just as I thought.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama